Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entomology Book

Default Entomology Book

Am looking to learn more about this and wanted to see if anyone knows of any good books. Yes i know there are books out there and i have seen a few at book stores but i wanted to see if anyone knows or any good ones that are simple and easier to understand then others.

Thanks for the help

Question Entomolgy....

DJ,.... one of the books I like is "Fish Food" by Ralph Cutter. Good info/read and not so technical as an academic tome. Even has a chapter on Threadfin Shad in it. That brings to mind that you shouldn't ignore forage fish or crayfish as food for Trout. There're several books out on any of these baits and all of the sub-divisions of them. Pick a basic book for your first read and then advance to the others....

Have fun exploring.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

When I was in your shoes looking for a straight-forward, comprehensive but easy-to-understand volume, I picked up Dave Hughes' "Handbook of Hatches." I don't think I could have made a better choice and read it from cover-to-cover. I highly recommend it and posted a review of it here:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5793
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Western Hatches, Hafele and Hughes.

If your looking for a simple guide I recommend Jim Schollmeyer's Hatch Guide for Western Streams. If you want something a little more in depth then I recommend the classics Caddisflies by Gary Lafontaine and Hatches II by Causti and Nastasi.

Marc P.

What are you trying to do with the book? Figure out hatches that are taking place on a stream as they come off or doing some home work on a kick screen to see what is in the water. The different use will push you in different directions...
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Default bug books

I've seen Cutter's video - "bugs Underwater" and just finished the "Fish Food" book.
    Recommend both. Lots of insight and useful info. Fun read!
    Have also read Dave Hughes "Handbook of Hatches" which is excellent. Many of the
    magazines have great columnists and articles. If I lived in an area of California that
    was blessed with streams and natural lakes, I would check with the area colleges to
    find a "bug" class to enroll in.
    Larry S
    San Diego

MarcP has the perfect post. Jim Schollmeyer's "Hatch Guide for Western Streams" is concise and great pictures. You can buy a used copy for $12-15 on eBay or at Amazon.

I'll second Dave Hughes Handbook of hatches.

I think Sierra college in Rocklin has entemology classes...If I am not mistaken I thought Bill Carnazzo taught them. Maybe Bill could shed some light..... I do have both Fish Food and Shollenmeyer's book and both of them are good. Fish Food is a fun read and The Western Hatches shows good examples of what bugs and the flies they represent.
    "Is this your homework Larry?"