Thread: Mammoth Tips

Default Mammoth Tips

Leaving town to Mammoth Lakes. I was thinking of trying my luck at some of the usual haunts - Twin Lakes, Owens River, and perhaps Hot Creek - but welcome suggestions for new water. I've never fished the Walker but will have some time there on the way home. It's so accessible being by the road. Is there a chunk I should focus on in a visit? Thanks for your suggestions!
    The essence of b.s. is not that it is false but that it is phony... -Harry G. Frankfurt

I fished the East Walker once, had good luck on the stretch just below the Bridgeport dam with small nymphs. No secret surf spot, everyone knows about it, but it wasn't crowded the 2 days I spent there and I had a blast. It should be beautiful this time of year. Check the flows, though, as big swings of dam release are supposed to queer the bite for a few days. There's a fly shop in Bridgeport (Ken's?) and they gave me great advice and I picked up a few flies that were very productive--give them a call.
    I always like fishing the upper Owens, in the valley just north of Benton Crossing road. Not that I ever catch a ton of fish there, but it is so beautiful I always enjoy the day.
    Good luck.
    Kurt
    Oh yeah, on of my best days fishing, ever was drifting the Lower Owens just below Bishop with Two Bug Doug of Sierra Drifters guide service. My 8 year old daughter went along and 2-Bug kept us in fish (BIG ones, too) all day--fun guy to spend the day with, too.
    http://www.sierradrifters.com/

McGee creek ! Find it ! Browns pouring into tribs. from crowley !