Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/R Report 9/23

Default A/R Report 9/23

Caught these 2 smolts swinging a size 14 birds nest. I know not very big but they put a pretty good bend in the 5wt.

Default Smolts....

Hey Guppy,.... Fish are fish. Good catch and photos.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I am glad to see you are out there fishing, keep up the good work. A smaller net will make the fish look bigger.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    I am glad to see you are out there fishing, keep up the good work. A smaller net will make the fish look bigger.
    That of you can buy a SHigSpeed Special measure net with the inches screened in half-inch increments!

_SHig

Hi Guppy

thanks for posting those nice photos.

I wonder if we used a little larger fly would we bring up larger fish?

I too have been using lots of caddis pupa in size #12/14 for many year in the lower American River because they seem to produce more fish.

Maybe we should try going out earlier in the AM with a #8/10 black Wooley Bugger on a floating line?

PS: Be sure to have a Steelhead punch card and pinch down your barbs.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Don't worry gup, I think the majority of the run is fish that size haha, I catch more steelies that size than the adults. I just look at it this way, you're catching a trout in the middle of Sacramento, which is pretty special IMO.

Default smolts

Nice job, gup. Glad to see you getting out there. I caught quite a few smolts in the lower river last week dry-line swinging a mossback. They wouldn't hit my soft hackle! Good news was that all but one of the smolts I caught had intact adipose fins! I wonder if it's because wild fish are more aggressive despite these high temps, or could we be lucky enough to have a resurgent spawn of wild fish?
    Regards,
    Joe

Fishing is like hockey...ya gotta get it in the net!

Oddly enough I've found that even the smolts will be fairly selective at times. When I guage the potential effectiveness of my new flies they can be a perfect test as they're very abundant at times and are relatively easier to catch. Not to say that it's an apples to apples comparison but if there are 10 smolts working an area and you cast in there and they won't even touch your flies then I assume it's time to change it up. On the flip-side, if they're smashing your flies I think that's a pretty good sign you have a pattern that resembles whatever they're keying in on.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by jlmelend View Post
    Nice job, gup. Glad to see you getting out there. I caught quite a few smolts in the lower river last week dry-line swinging a mossback. They wouldn't hit my soft hackle! Good news was that all but one of the smolts I caught had intact adipose fins! I wonder if it's because wild fish are more aggressive despite these high temps, or could we be lucky enough to have a resurgent spawn of wild fish?
    I too tried this weekend swinging soft hackles which are usually productive for me and striking out. What's a mossback?

_SHig

Default Mossback

Shig,

Check out this thread, there is a pic of one, just scroll down a few posts.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17629

Just realized you were most likely messing around with the smiley face after your post.
    If he had it his way nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it