Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heenan - Slow Going...

One problem with the bull trout is their ecology. As a dominant piscivore they require a substantial prey base to support a populations. Since the McCloud is deprived of anadramous salmonines, successful reestablishment of a healthy population of bullies will be a challenge at best.
    They shoot canoes, don't they?
    -Nick

Default I totally agree with you

I am being realistic as I can. Life history of Bull Trout makes them a 100% piscovore once they reach 10-12 inches. The McCloud Bull Trout held on for about 30 years after construction of Shasta Dam which is amazing since their prime food source (salmon smolts) were no longer existant. However there are small isolated fluvial populations in the Upper Klamath Basin & Malheur River Drainage in OR that persist with other salmonids making up their diet (small trout, etc.) Also the Bull Trout of the Metolious actually adapted to the abscence of Salmon smolts when Lake Billy Chinook was created. The Bull Trout there adapted and made Kokanee and Whitefish their prime food source and actually thrive. So with some hesistation, there are a handful of Biologists that aren't willing to throw in the towel just yet but fully realize how far fetched this sounds. You are unfortunately very correct that to establish a population will be a challenge at best and undoubtebly require recurring transplants as a self sustaining population may not be entirely possible. More research is being done and like I said decades in the making project. Habitat and non-native trout play such a huge role in this. But I have hope. If no one has hope then the dream will be gone forever. There is going to be a Bull Trout workshop in Klamath Falls headed by USGS and USFWS next year with this "proposal" on the adgenda. Hopefully this can create the spark of interest and get it moving.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare