Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Switch to get.

Default Which Switch to get.

I have been thinking about a switch rod for use on the north umpqua, trinity. Something with backbone to handle hot 10 lb fish. Is 8110 Sage this type of rod?

I think the 7110 would fit the bill. I cast that rod when fishing with Scott O and it definitely has backbone - my friend Bruce has it and uses it for winter and summer fish. I think he has a 475 skagit short that works well on it

Good choice for some heavy duty work. I have been fishing that rod for two years now and am very happy with it. The Rio Skagit short in 425 grains does a good job of loading the 8110. You can custom cut some other lines that also do the job.
    Terry

In Switch rods we sell more #6 and #7 line models than anything else.

In your case the Sage 7110-4 would be very good.

The Sage 8110-4 would be good for winter fishing on smaller water with fast tips and big flies.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

7110-4 is a great rod and I think it is a little better suited for Trinity, Umpqua, and coastal work. There are a wide variety of lines that work on this rod. If you have any questions feel free to call us at the shop.

Jason Hartwick

1-800-400-0359
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Default Thankyou for all the feedback!

Great to hear some advice on switch rods. much appreciated!

Hey Bill (or anyone that might know),
    Who does rod modification work, that could possibly add length to a Sage XP 7100 ?
    Or do you think this would not be feasible or functional in the end ?
    It looks like the fighting butt is threaded on, and just wondering if another 12 inch grip could be added.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Hey Bill (or anyone that might know),
    Who does rod modification work, that could possibly add length to a Sage XP 7100 ?
    Or do you think this would not be feasible or functional in the end ?
    It looks like the fighting butt is threaded on, and just wondering if another 12 inch grip could be added.

Thanks,
    Mike
    If theres one man who can answer this question, it would be Gary Anderson of Anderson custom rods. I believe he has done stuff like youre talking about.

http://www.andersoncustomrods.com/

Gary has a new switch seat that could be retro fitted to your rod. It has a 2 inch single hand fighting butt that unscrews and drops down 3 inches and then retightens, making the rod 3 inches longer. With his unigrip snout in front of the full wells sage grip you have a very nice 2 hand grip that goes back to single hand nicely and the rod sections stay the same length. In the Sac area contact John Peterson for a look at Gary,s newest switch trick. spg

I have 3 older Fisher rods - two 10' and one 10.5' in 7 to 9 wt - I asked Gary if he could custom add a butt section to make switch rods out of them and he said he is too busy to do that type work but Bill turned me on to a friend of his who is a barber just down the street from Bill's shop who does rod work on the side and he put on 6" rear grips on all three rods - they are a real kick to use!! Bill should be able to get you in touch with him - see photos below - sorry they are a bit out of focus