Thread: Minor Slough , 9/13

Default Minor Slough , 9/13

Ted and I took the tedboat out yesterday , my first time out in this part of the Delta .

Launched @ Arrowhead , fished down both banks about 5+ miles ......

Not a single touch . Saw plenty of bait and a few Carp broaching .

That's it !

David

Minor slough has been tuff for me also. Haven't caught any stripers but I have had some success with smallmouth and largemouth bass downstream from arrowhead. Couple side sloughs on the way down be sure to check them out, its where I found some largemouth action. Smallmouth were up against the rock levees in main slough, not really any flat out from the bank and the water gets deep quick. Get your fly up against the rocks, most grabs come first couple strips and then it gets deep, have good luck with red and yellow no.1 and 2 clousers thru out the delta for bass. Not much help if you are not interested in bass but my son did tell me stripers can be really good around the weedbeds where Minor dumps into Cache.

Bummer David. I know it was good to get out but that's a bummer you didn't find any cooperative fish.

I've been eyeing Minor for a couple of years now, as I've read reports of smallies in there, as Dabalone mentioned.

How is the current? Is it do-able in an inflatable kayak (i.e., is it possible to row against the current)?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Daba -

Thanks for the info . Perhaps next time ????

Mike -

You could get away w/ a Yak in there .... the current didn't seem too bad . I'd stay close to Arrowhead marina though . My Jonboat w/ the electric could cut it , in case you wanna go sometime ?

Strange thing - EVERY other boater cut their motors when we were in sight (50-150 yards) , slowed to a crawl .... and passed at a respectful distance .

In all the years I've been on the water (especially in the Delta) .... I've NEVER seen folks so civil . Pretty cool ....

D.~

David, thanks for letting me know about the current. If I ever get a chance to make it up that way, I'll definitely give you a call.

Interesting about those boaters . . . . In the areas I normally fish, it's probably been about 50-50 and does seem a little better than in the past. Maybe the word is getting around.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.