Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you separate a two peice fiberglas rod that is stuck together?

Default How do you separate a two peice fiberglas rod that is stuck together?

I loaned out an old, two piece Scientific Anglers 8 wt fly rod. It came back as a one piece rod. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can separate the two pieces? Thank you

Default unsticking graphite

This may sound simplistic but on a graphite stick, I poured icy cold water from my ice chest over the the entire area for a 10 - 20 seconds while occasionally giving the two sections a little twist. It eventually broke free.

I'm not sure about fiberglass.... Here's a bump for your thread.

Default Mouse pad...

I know that this sounds crazy... but take an old mouse pad (with the sticky rubber on the back side) and cut it in two pieces. Use these two mouse pad pieces (w/ sticky side wrapping the blank) and twist the sections apart. There has NEVER been a stuck ferrule that I could not undo with this method. I travel all over and never leave home without my mouse pads in my tackle bag. Apparently, the tacky side of the mouse pad adds just enough grip to undo the ferrules. Give it a try!
    Angling On The Fly Travel
    (916) 539-3474
    www.AnglingOnTheFly.com

Default Stuck ferrule

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a try and get back to you.

Default When you get as old as me, you've had more rod sections stuck together than fish!

I recommend methods A. and B.

My worst one was on a trip to Gaspe in eastern Canada. I fished the last five days of the season, travelling each day with my appointed guide who broke down the rods (4-pc) in half to fit into his vehicle. By week's end, when it was time to go home, the handle/butt section could not be separated from the second section. My outfitter graciously kept my rod and mailed it to me. I put ice cubes in a bowl and placed the stuck section over the bowl for 30 minutes. The cold seemed to contract the stuck ferrule and I was able, with the help of a pair of rubber grip pads (like Keith's mouse pads) to free the stuck sections.

Like others have said, chill both sections with ice water.
    Fiberglass is a poor thermal conductor so you will probably have to soak it for a bit.

Other thing you can use is the material you put under rugs on wood floors to keep them from shifting.
    If you happen to already have some in your house, just trim a section off the corner and you're good to go.
    -Paul
    Last edited by PaulC; 09-11-2009 at 10:04 PM.

What I do is I sit down on bench or a chair and but the rod behind my knees with the joint situated right between my knees. I grab the rod from outside my knees on both sides. I then gently spread my knees apart and in the process pull my rod apart. PM me if this sounds confusing.

I was at an old salmon fishing lodge in Nova Scotia and there was an old fiberglass Fenwick fly rod up on the wall with a sign under it.

"Use this rod if you need to because I could not get it apart so I left it here."
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene View Post
    I was at an old salmon fishing lodge in Nova Scotia and there was an old fiberglass Fenwick fly rod up on the wall with a sign under it.

"Use this rod if you need to because I could not get it apart so I left it here."

Thats funny Bill! I have a 5wt that I use a LOT. it sticks all the time. I get nervous about twisting it caus it actually seems to torque the graphite of the female ferrule. I use the 'behind the knees methhod' and it works perfect. Its part of my pack up ritual after fishing with the rod. Guess I should put some perrafin stuff on it. Its the only rod I can fish with all day and the sections never shift. (its a 2 peice)

Default Stuck ferrule

Hey, thanks for all the feedback. If I am able to separate the two pieces, should I use paraffin wax to prevent a recurrence?