Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American River Vehicle Access closures

Angry Your comments are right on target.

I too have the annual pass, and I had knee surgery 3 weeks ago. I will be in recovery/therapy and not able to walk long distances for the rest of this year and probably a good part of next year. My Dr, PA, PT and wife, who is an RN look at me like I've lost it when I talk about needing to get back to fishing. Walking on river cobblestone with a repairing/recovering knee isn't highly recommended.

Basically the Grist Mill site was about the only site, where one can drive a 4 wheel vehicle to get close to the river if you have a temp disability or a long term one.

Watt Ave might be pushing it for those of us ongoing bad knees or knee repair.

With less Rangers, we can expect the Pitt Bull walkers and whatever they do, to basically take over the parkway from noonish to closing. I can remember these delightful people basically taking over the park during the Gray Davis Blackout days and the budget problems then. These people walk in, litter and parade their big dogs without paying and basically dare us to say anything about their dogs running around without a leash.

I guess that I need to learn how to fish the flat shore areas in Bodega Bay.

Would have been nice to know thay were thinking of closing entrances, and we could have voted on it. I can understand the need, as sad as it is. By why Gristmill? It definately makes more money than El Manto. I wouold rather them put the old boat ramp back in at El Manto then close Rossmoore, but thats just me. Its obvious that Herrington stayed open for The River Rat or it should have been closed.

Grampa Spey, you should go check out the unimproved launch above Sunrise, it will get you close to the water.

Default LAR access closures

So, what if anything can we do now? It's odd they did not solicit our/pass owners' input.

For example, Grist Mill is a unique and irreplaceable access IMO. AND it gets used! Today when I returned there to shuttle my vehicle and trailer back down to Howe, six vehicles were there. Last Saturday, there were a similar number--with people launching boats, spey casting, fishing etc. It may be that many of us have passes and are not counted as users since we pass by the payment box. They have removed the porta-potty, so probably could just unlock/lock the gate, collect the money...and leave it a low or no-maintainance access.

With lack of input from the users/us, and possibly some petitions located in the fishing-related shops, would Sac Parks be willing to re-visit the closures? (Or at least leave GM open?)

Hopefully someone has the time to research this further, give it more thought, and step up.

Ron Otto

Repeated use of bolt cutters makes them think creatively.........

Default Grist Mill was used before and after their construction at the gate

Quote Originally Posted by ophir1 View Post
    So, what if anything can we do now? It's odd they did not solicit our/pass owners' input.

For example, Grist Mill is a unique and irreplaceable access IMO. AND it gets used! Today when I returned there to shuttle my vehicle and trailer back down to Howe, six vehicles were there. Last Saturday, there were a similar number--with people launching boats, spey casting, fishing etc. It may be that many of us have passes and are not counted as users since we pass by the payment box. They have removed the porta-potty, so probably could just unlock/lock the gate, collect the money...and leave it a low or no-maintainance access.

With lack of input from the users/us, and possibly some petitions located in the fishing-related shops, would Sac Parks be willing to re-visit the closures? (Or at least leave GM open?)

Hopefully someone has the time to research this further, give it more thought, and step up.

Ron Otto
    Some of my relatives and friends have suggested, depending on the post op status of my knee re my visit with my orthopedic surgeon in early October, I might want to get a temp disability sticker for my vehicles with the closures we are getting all over N. California. That way if there is any access, I could be closer to the water with my vehicle.

Then, as they close the vehicle access sites to our rivers and lakes, I might get a few others with the blue cards and a friendly lawyer to re open these sites like the Grist Mill for all of us, not just those with the blue disabled stickers/cards. I have never done that and don't want to, however, the closure of vehicle access sites has become an increasing problem in many areas in California and SW Oregon, I'm no longer closed to the idea.

Those access closures also prevent or make it very hard to take our younger children fishing with their gear, the necessary food and whatever else is needed with younger children. Then if a child or you get injured, how do you get help and out of the area.

There seem to be certain groups that want to close our rivers and lakes not only to vehicle access but even Kayak, canoe, pram or small fishing boats. Under the long lasting flood project with the Napa River, we basically have no place to launch a kayak, canoe or pram except at Kennedy Park miles south of some of the good fishing up stream from Kennedy. Besides not having a place to launch any fishing craft, those in power have basically blocked any foot paths to get to the river. Places where we could approach the river on foot a few years ago, now have no Trespassing Signs. A few places have been left for the bait casters, and there are rumors of those being closed.

Default Thanks, Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Gonzales View Post
    Would have been nice to know thay were thinking of closing entrances, and we could have voted on it. I can understand the need, as sad as it is. By why Gristmill? It definately makes more money than El Manto. I wouold rather them put the old boat ramp back in at El Manto then close Rossmoore, but thats just me. Its obvious that Herrington stayed open for The River Rat or it should have been closed.

Grampa Spey, you should go check out the unimproved launch above Sunrise, it will get you close to the water.
    Thanks Charlie.

Thumbs up Park Funding/Services

Of course, the county Parks & Rec Dept aren't really responsible for the reduction in funding... The Board of Supervisors approved them. Perhaps we should be writing them (along with the head of Parks & Rec) to make our displeasure known. Also, if there're any creative ways to increase funding, make a suggestion(s)

For example, one of the biggest problems (and one that will get increasingly worse) is homeless encampments along the watershed. Yet, the City of Sacto seems to be the only group attempting to deal with the problem. How about asking the county to demand fund sharing from local cities to increase Park Ranger presence and maintenance activities.... Doesn't the river run thru nearly every city in this area....

The SacBee recently reported that the Salmon Festival was cancelled this year. That could be a potential source of funding by charging a nominal fee for parking or entrance.

I shudder to think what the riverbanks are going to look like after a year of cyclists, homeless campers, rafters and others (yeah, fisherman too) dropping their trash and peeing in the river....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Access Limitations:

I'm a fairly new resident to the Sac area and a relative newbie to this forum. I am also retired and more limited in foot access than I want to be by my knees. I purchased an annual pass in January and I'm still in the learning curve on places to go on the A.R. both with my kayak and fly rod. Now I see that it's going to be a lot tougher with the closures. My thought is that the county sold us our permits with a distinct number of access sites included with that permit. If I knew that limitations to access were going to be applied during my 12 months, I might not have layed out those greenies. I payed for something that is not being delivered. The old "bait and switch". I'm not an attorney, but it seems the county either owes us a rebate or needs to extend the closure date. Most likely there are not enough of us with passes to create financial clout to affect any change and Big Brother will just say "deal with it". At least we can still bitch!
    Harry S

This has been coming for some time. There isn't a lot of room for complaining either,especially from members on this board. I'll tell you why. Last year I asked for help in dealing with the break in problems and to contact me with e-mails or letters.Only one member contacted me and offered to help,Charlie Gonzales.
    I was scheduled for a meeting with a County Supervisor and knew I would have some time to discuss the problems mentioned, breakins ,access and road conditions. I also made the suggestions of calling the local Chamber of Commerce (Rancho, Fair Oaks,Sacto) and mentioning loss of revenues to the local business nothing happened. I know this as I have asked several Chamber presidents and board members.
    There are several developers who would love to get their hands on the parkway starting with a development and bridge at Bradshaw ave. So soon is the time to get involved, not later call your Supervisor and ask them to find the money for the parkway.
    There was some derogatory remarks about the park employees,why should they work for free? They have to be off the clock at a certain time meaning NO OVERTIME. Its a county park and the money is going to many unworthy and unnecessary places ,but very few people let the county know how special the parkway is.That is the bottom line.
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

Default An answer to your question

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    I shudder to think what the riverbanks are going to look like after a year of cyclists, homeless campers, rafters and others (yeah, fisherman too) dropping their trash and peeing in the river....
    Imagine a third world country river where the river and banks are used for everything..

A few years ago during a warm May weekend Keine's had Simon hosting a great casting program. The morning was great.

In the afternoon as it got hotter, hordes of walk ins with families and dogs running loose basically took over the river, the only thing missing were burials of the dead in the river.

The Russian River north of Healdsburg on 101 with public and non patrolled access is like that every weekend day during the summer and Indian summer. A decade ago, that area was great Smallmouth Bass Fishing in the spring/summer.