Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: line weight for boo?

Default Boo

I was somewhat tempted to chime in but resisted....until Bill's comment.....

So jbird, how can you write the words "..heavy butt section..." and still have that photo up?

Seriously, I have used bamboo for more than 40 years and I suggest (as other have) starting light and working up. Hopefully the reel seat isn't one of those ancient small ones and your reels will fit nicely. At nine feet it is a little more likely the rod is at least a five and that is not a bad place to start.

I did a small job for someone a few years back and he gave me a his father's copy of G.E.M. Skues' book, "The Way of a Trout With a Fly" (Fourth edition). The first definitive treatise on using nymphs! It is good enough to feel we do good work but then to be rewarded by such nice gestures is just wonderful. (I think that was a floor too!) When I found out what the book was worth (for insurance purposes) I offered it back but the man said he thought that a flyfisher should have it.

Jbird,
    The gang over here will likely have some great advice:

http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/

Nip
    Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence. Robert Frost

J-Bird I am a novice when it comes to bamboo, however I have purchased two lately and love fishing with them. You are in for a definite treat.

I would just get a bunch of lines and tapers to play with. One of my rods is a 7' 4wt however after playing with it a superfine orvis 5wt felt best.

I regards to the rod not being perfectly straight, it might be fixable. I was told by someone who knows a lot about boo that you can straighten them out by heating them with steam? and straightening.

John
    If he had it his way nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it