Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the "T"

Default the "T"

Hello all, newbie to forum. If road conditions allow, I will be heading to an upper section popular with rafters. There are no scheduled releases on the day of travel. I'm sure there are no shortages of rattlers, and poison oak. Has anyone fished this area?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default "...lions and tigers and bears...oh my!"

...for the youngsters on the board' that is from the Wizard of Oz.

JFarm---Seriously, been in the area for 30 years and haven't seen or heard of a rattler in the immediate Truckee area; the North Fork of the Yuba, yes. I did see a recent post that someone saw a rattler...I can't verify that and can only go on my past experience here and being buzzed by them in the past. As for poison oak; doubt it. IMO, both rattlers and poison oak will be at lower elevations. I did fine a scorpion in my cool, dark basement about 15 years ago.

The water is very low now in the upper reaches of the BT (big Truckee)above the Boca inflow. That can be good in that you can now reach trout that haven't been touched so far this year. Conversely, bad in that water temps are definitely a factor. The "canyon" water to the state line is very accessible and fishable right now...that is where I'd look for the larger fish.

I keep hearing about waiting for October, no doubt, one of my favorite months to fly fish here in this area; but, if the weather cools you may be surprised at the fishing that may be available on the Truckee...before October. After Labor Day there will be fewer people also. Mammoth Lakes area at this time of year can be fabulous.

Frank R. Pisciotta

I was confused with the mention of rattlers and oak. Figured he must be reffering to the T in Trinity

Default ...the T

Jigger---I believe you may be correct...my error

Frank R. Pisciotta

Nice little guessing game here. My guess for "T" is that rafters + poison oak + rattlers = Tuolumne river.

Quote Originally Posted by Flycanoe View Post
    Nice little guessing game here. My guess for "T" is that rafters + poison oak + rattlers = Tuolumne river.
    I would say that's a good guess since the original poster was from fresno...
    "Is this your homework Larry?"

Question ...so which is it?

JFarm....you may get some info if you're more explicit. Which river are you planning on visiting

Frank R. Pisciotta

there was tons of poison oak, no rattlers to be seen, and fishin wasn't bad!! fly canoe, yes I was talkin about that T. However area not such a secret as we were met by a group of flyfishers that had been camped days, and several whiz-ploppers. Area still fished good, despite the pressure.

Default Rattlers and rosey boas

I never thought i'd see a rattler on the Truckee, but one night, about 20-years ago, down-river from the auto-wreckers, we came across one. It was pretty close to 3-feet long and had an additude. Only one I've ever seen up there. We used to find these docile little rosey boas. Neat little snakes. I'm sure they're still around.

Tracy
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

I would like to make a request that from here on out, the only river that should be referred to as "The T", is the Truckee.

That thread was confusing as hell.

All in favor say aye.

Sincerely,

Clark