Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A pretty amusing day .......

I would definately agree that both David and Mark are great ambassadors of the sport and do represent "both" sides in a great manner. Mark could write a book on catching monster stripes. The three of us should get out soon.

I also agree that when walking and wadin its a better choice to fish lighter tippets; its much easier to pop of a snagged fly with 8 to 12 lb tippet that the 20lb I use in the boat.

Default Too Light a Leader?

Right on Charlie. In the boat 20# leader works fine and it doesn't seem to matter when you get snagged up, it breaks easily enough too. I don't find that the stripers are leader shy at all. With 20# you have some leader strength to put the muscle on when you hook up a bigger fish.

Now, hooking up that same bigger fish with a lighter leader will more often than not lead to more lost fish. The other thing with lighter leader is that it will result in playing the fish longer than usual and often result in an exhausted fish that may or may not be revived.

In defense of David's postion, it would be a safety factor when wading to have a lighter leader. There will be more chances of snags when wading. A bigger fish can break itself off when wrapped up around a tree, and, the fisherman can keep himself from getting pulled over or tangled up in some unbreakable line. Any of you who have waded Sailor Bar very much know what I'm talking about when you get your feet wrapped up in some Spider Wire or other braid from those guys that were long lining and snagging salmon. The damn stuff is unbreakable and will cut you in a heartbeat. AND doesn't deteriate or biodegrade.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Nice post David. Lets hook up next week and hit it sometime.

Mark, I don't think I can wade the American anymore after seeing that pic...... I may get my leg bit off or something.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Right on David. Way to extend a hand and help out

Hey Mark,
    I've had the pleasure of fishing with David a couple times in the past.
    He's by no means a fly fishing elitist and was kind enough to show me around up there for one trip.
    I think you'll find a lot of us are buddies with gear guys or throw gear sometimes ourselves.
    In the end, we're all fisherman.
    Beautiful release picture btw.
    -Paul

Default Kool kats

Yah I know David's a cool cat~

and Charlie Ryan, Jason, Andy, Bill K. and many others I've met on the river, in the shop, or at the Capitol building...

There's gradations of gear guys just as there are gradations of fly guys. Fishing is a lot like sex (if I remember correctly...) It's not what you got but how you use it.

My fishing buds and I were saddened and pissed off earlier this season with other fishing acquaintances of ours who insisted on running stingers (trailer hooks) on their live bait rigs. We found a couple of large, striper hens floating dead, downriver from where they had been fishing. They had cut out and released... but left large trebles in the foreguts of their 'released' fish

It seems to me there is indeed a commonly held belief among fly fishers that their method of fishing is more pure than that of the gear guy and whereas I would agree this is true when comparing fly fishing to using live bait, I would have to disagree when comparing it to plugging for striped bass.

In many ways, making a 1-3 oz. piece of wood look like a live or injured baitfish in 5000 CFS of moving water is arguably much more difficult than stripping a heavily-weighted line with a delicately-crafted, pulsating mass of bucktail and krtystal flash...

Yes I realize I oversimplified here.

I also realize this is a fly fishing board and I'm not looking to convert anyone here to gear-fishing (LOL)

In my mind as relates to fishing... there is no be all/end all (not in gear fishing, nor in fly fishing...). and I can't imagine ever truly 'mastering' any method of fishing... what would be the fun in that?

I fish hard, catch some, struggle at times (my buds, Benny and Rob have been shaming me lately ) But I'll re-think, re-member, re-create re-joice daily and continue to love the sport with big heart and soul and open mind.

FISH HARD AND LIVE!
    m

I know far more people who use conventional gear, I take some of them out with me and they always have the option of using one of my fly setups. There is no difference in the level of anticipation, excitement and smiles on their face when they hook up with either a flyrod, baitcaster, or spinning reel. I never really understood the flyfishing elitism, but its out there alive and well, its a real turnoff for me but never stopped me from enjoying fishing with my gear friends just as much as my fly only friends.