Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advise for a new Dad

I've been using Kelty's Backcountry for my 3 kids. It has held up well and will easily carry my last little one until he can do the walking himself, which I hope is coming soon . If the Kelty offerings fit you well, I'd recommend them. Mine has a small/medium backpack for some storage, sunshade, holds up to 50lbs (?) and is reasonably comfortable.

As others have mentioned, safety first. But, don't let that stop you from taking your little guy on the occasional hike, fishing trip, etc. The time I've spent carrying my kids was in addition to and never in the place of the time we spent face-to-face. All the mugging, laughing, and giggling my kids did suggested they had a great time with a different view of the world. They won't remember all the specifics, but the additional time together is great bonding time.

Keep on doing the things you love and bring the loved ones along too!

Good luck.

Default Fishing With Infants

I second that. I have a Kelty Backcountry and it works great however I don't fly fish with it on. My daught won't even stay in it that long for that matter. You should go out with your son right now! I remember when my daughter was just 3 months old my wife and I took her to Mammoth and I had her strapped on me face forward in the Baby Bjorn. I fly fished the Dana Fork and Middle Fork San Jaoquin and it was really easy. Worked perfectly and never worried once about a backcast hitting her. It's when your kid starts walking your fishing time will be Zero when you're out there with him. Now is the time to take him and enjoy as he really is just extra baggage. My daughter is almost 2-1/2 and I don't even bring my rod when I'm out with her. She has her Disney Princess Zebco Special and we toss out worms in the local reseviors and that is totally fine for now.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare