Thread: Darwin Canyon Area Lakes (Kings Canyon)

Default Darwin Canyon Area Lakes (Kings Canyon)

Looking for any info fishing or hiking wise on Darwin Canyon Lakes just out of Evolution Valley in Kings Canyon. Leaving from Courtwright Res. and going over Hell for Sure Pass and then cross country over Lamarck Col down to Lamarck Lakes out of North Lake (Bishop Hwy 16. Appreciate any info of any kind.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare

There is a trail over Lamarck Col so for the most part you will not be going
    "cross country". The trail up Darwin Canyon takes off at the end of a long switchback on the JMT as it ascends the slope east of Evolution Valley.
    The trail up the west side has several variations just before
    the pass, but the pass is pretty clear - go north, not east. Near the pass the trail becomes quite well constructed. As you descend the east side, don't take the "trail" that appears to head directly for Upper Lamarck Lake. Watch for the real trail taking off to your right as you descend to a relatively flat area. The trail descends to the east end of Upper Lamarck Lake, not the west end. Fishing in Darwin Canyon can be quite good in the three
    lower lakes. The fish here are rainbow x golden hybrids that look pretty much like "pure" goldens. The fish look enough like "pure" goldens to confuse
    trained biologists, but they are hybrids. You can expect fish to about 14".
    There are many good campsites near the outlet of the lower lake and
    between the first and second lake. Have fun! It's a nice area.

Jerry

Default Thanks

Thanks so much Jerry! I am a little relieved to know there is a trail over Lamarck Col. Contours on my map scared me a bit but my buddy insisted he read there is a trail. Good to know about the RainbowXGoldens too. Figured as much but wat just curious if anyone else out there had fished the canyon as it is somewhat remote. Going right after Labor Day and really looking forward to. Again ppreciate the info.

Tdog

-William Shakespeare

Forgot to mention - there's a little glacier on the east side of the pass. The
    size varies from year to year, but generally it is about 50 yards across hard
    snow and presents no problem. I generally cross glaciers/snowfields in the
    afternoon when the surface is softer - I don't like ice. Have fun!

Jerry

Default Snow Crossings

Thanks Jerry. Yep I saw that on the map too and will be sure to avoid it. I hate crossing snow too. Had a huge scare over Shepherd Pass 10 years ago that for sure would have cost me my life if I didn't have the ice axe handy. Ahhh the madness we endure in pursuit of High Sierra Trout! Really appreciate all of your helpful information.

Ned

-William Shakespeare

Default Pics from Darwin Canyon & Lamarck Col

Fishing was fantastic at lower lake at Darwin Bench however upper lake (#3) where we ended up camping was very challenging. 18 ft. leaders with scuds produced only one 12" fish for me the last night. Attached are some pics of the hike. Thanks Jerry again for the info. You were right, not as cross country as one would assume. I actually thought the hike was somewhat easy compared to others like Taboose or Shepherd Pass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICTURES 041.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	774   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICTURES 050.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	775   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICTURES 060.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICTURES 065.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICTURES 068.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	781  

-William Shakespeare