Thread: Tying fewer patterns now...

Default Tying fewer patterns now...

Hi guys,

When I started flytying 10 years ago, I was tying at least 30 different patterns, which some specific patterns for specific areas. Ex: poxyback callibaetis, sheep's creek specials, and marabou damsels for Lake Davis, sparkle duns for Milton, poopah's for the USac, matukas for the Truckee and Carson that I rarely used anywhere else. Now, I'm finding I'm only tying maybe a dozen patterns:

Mayflys:
    Pheasant Tails
    Quigley cripple
    Para-adams

Caddis:
    gold-ribbed hare's ear
    poopah
    Elk Hair Caddis

Stonefly:
    Brooks stone
    rubber legs
    Stimulator

Midges:
    Brassie (my #1 fly that I always have on for rivers)

Streamers:
    Woolly bugger

Am I just getting lazy? Or maybe I don't get out as much anymore (have a 2-year old son now). I also noticed that most of them can be labeled as attractors and can crossover. What's your experience with fly patterns over time?

Best regards,
    albchen

I too find myself gravitating toward fewer patterns these days. After all, how many can you possibly give a good workout on any given day? That said, I do like to carry at least 1 new pattern with the hope I came up with something that solves a problem and/or absolutely slays 'em.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Thumbs up Tying....

I've been tying off and on for over 45 years. I've found that I vary between tying like there's no tomorrow and not at all depending on what my personal situation is. Stopped tying all together for a period of around 5 years because I had so many flies in my inventory it was getting to be too crowded.... I still have 2-3 large boxes of unused Steelhead/Salmon flies that I tied up during that 70's and early 80's. I Probably have a half dozen of everything....

Since then, I've tied on a regular basis and donated some flies but it's getting crowded again.... Since I fish the Delta and rivers for Stripers and found the salt, again, I've started tying all new patterns; especially for fishing in the surf and Baja (Sea of Cortez). My fishin' partner and I lose some of them and give some away to others on trips with us. I still have more then I need but continue to look for the "magic bullet"....

The biggest problem is where to store all of the materials and hooks I've accumulated over a lifetime....

Guess I'm hopeless.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I'm always trying to reinvent the wheel. I don't really do the nymph thing either but I'll tie some PT's and grey hackle peacocks. I always try to have an assortment of flies on me. Try to tie 5-6 flies of one pattern, few sizes then move on to something else. Haven't really had the time either to look up stuff to tie but sometimes fishing the American I'll go home and tie up 3-5 new patterns to try out and multiply that by 5 or 6 outtings that's quite a few patterns right there....
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Default Too much stuff...

Hmmmm....I guess I haven't really noticed a huge difference in hook-ups between all-purpose flies versus more specific patterns. Then I again, I admit I only get out 2-3 times a year nowadays (compared to at least 2-3 times a month before), so I rarely run into hatches or fish for them specifically. I do miss the damsels at Davis and the hex at Almanor tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    The biggest problem is where to store all of the materials and hooks I've accumulated over a lifetime....

Guess I'm hopeless.
    Yeah, I hear you on that front. When we got married and moved in together, the first thing my newly-wed wife did was to move my flytying stuff to the garage.....I think the hare's mask, partridge back, bucktails and such grossed her out. At least I still got to keep my rods in the closet!

I too am tying and fishing fewer patterns. I tie for the waters and water conditions. Just tied some 16 chartreuse trudes, should work well through the rest of the year. Did some conehead streamers with red coneheads for a good contrast for the upcoming fall fishing.
    Fun, fun, fun.

Bob

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by albchen View Post
    Yeah, I hear you on that front. When we got married and moved in together, the first thing my newly-wed wife did was to move my flytying stuff to the garage.....I think the hare's mask, partridge back, bucktails and such grossed her out. At least I still got to keep my rods in the closet!
    Preach on Brother Albchen! When my wife and I move into the new house she wanted me to put my tying stuff in the garage. Uh....NO! I told her that the bugs would get it. I get a corner in the house for mine, if she gets a corner to scrap in...fair's fair.