Thread: Shasta Area Fishing Report

Default Shasta Area Fishing Report

Local waters have been fishing fair to good. Extreme hot weather and thundershowers have subsided and area waters are in great shape. Low summer flows and crystal clear water make things a bit technical so experienced anglers are faring better than the less experienced. Still a bit of smoke to consider in the Burney area though the fishing on the Fall River, the Pit, and Hat Creek has remained fair to good.

The Upper Sac and McCloud are fair to good and you can enjoy the place by yourself particularly on weekdays. Evening hatches are a bit compressed while nymphing even during the day can find some fish. A great time of year to fish early and late and take a swim and siesta.

For a full report check out the ShastaTrout blog or better yet drop us a line for the very latest. We would like nothing more than to point you in a direction you are likely to enjoy whether you are interested in guide service or not.

Are the fires out that were east of Burney? I hope so.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

craig- i am camping at burney falls this weekend for a family get together. What wouls be the best bet for a beginner fly fisherman (cousin)
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

I just spent a long weekend in the Burney area. I returned home on Monday. There are two fires that were still going pretty strong when I left: the Cassel complex and the Chalk Mountain fire. The Chalk Mountain fire was really being hit hard from the air and they were making some progress. For some reason, this fire hasn't had much pub., but is the closest to Burney Falls Park. It is located west of the park and Pit 3 powerhouse. Steve Vaughn at Vaughn's Sporting Goods in Burney would be a good source of info. before you head up that way this coming weekend.
    T.

Default Burney Creek for beginners?

Darrin:
    For the none too serious Burney Creek can be fun for planted fish. For the hardier and athletic souls I most often recommend nymphing the Pit this time of year for big wild 'bows.
    Unfortunately as Terry notes, still some fires in the area and...reports are flows on Pit 3 may be as high as 400 cfs. though still fishable it has quieted the bite. Pit 4 & 5 have been OK but are also a bit high for this time of year (new flow regimen) and the fish are off their usual silly grab as well :>(.
    I hope you catch loads of big 'uns.
    Have a great trip in any case!
    Craig
    Last edited by Craig Nielsen; 08-11-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Default Pit Flows/FERC Re-Licensing on McCloud?

Craig----You mention the new flow regime on the Pit. What is the status of the FERC re-licensing on the McCloud?

Frank R. Pisciotta

Default McCloud Relicensing Support SIGN ON!

Frank:

Thanks for asking. I am not intimately familiar with the relicensing process and am not one of the principle stake holders who will be a part of the meetings scheduled for later this year. I have spoken to Dave Steindorf of American Whitewater, Mike Dean former wild trout biologist with DFG, Curtis Knight the NE representative for Cal Trout and Mark Rockwell conservation coordinator for the FFF in the past month or so regarding a few of the issues, particularly my concerns regarding increased flows and angler carrying capacity.

Mostly from my recent experience on the Upper Sac (particularly since it opened year round) I believe that once optimum flows are reached, increasing flows leads to exponentially less available space for anglers to successfully ply their craft (less carrying capacity). Mark, Curtis, Mike and Dave all seem to understand my concern.

Most folks who have looked carefully at the studies being done on the McCloud believe that increased base flows from the dam will be beneficial to the fishery. I agree. However the downside perhaps is that in a "normal" runoff year increased spring flows from the dam will make the water below Hawkins Creek at Ash Camp higher than we've seen in years past to the point that it may reduce carrying capacity. If and how much capacity is reduced is left to be seen.

Those who have studied the flows believe it will not be an issue during high water years as the dam will be spilling lots of water anyway or low water years when the flows will remain about what we have seen in the past. One of the big benefits is that Hawkins Creek will no longer be "gamed" by the power company to reduce flows (to as little as 40 cfs out of the dam) when Hawkins is running which in the past has resulted in rapid rises and drawdowns unlike natural hydrographs. Last year for example unplanned flows increased over 1100 cfs in less than an hour during the flow study period.

In a nutshell, we may be seeing higher flows in May and June (particularly early June) more similar to a natural hydrograph during "normal" water years. The artificially low flows we have enjoyed in the past accompanied by the phenomenal spring hatches of big bugs may be limited to low water years.

The other issues I am familiar with all look very favorable to anglers. These include reducing the drawing of silt from the lake, providing access to the flow gauge at Ah-Di-Na, increased base flows in summer and fall, winter flushing flows, and most importantly instream monitoring with the ability to revise the model if it is shown to be harmful to the critters.

I've worked with the local Cal Trout office and the Federation of Flyfishers to draft a letter who along with Trout Unlimited and The California Sportfishing Protection Alliance is asking anglers to sign on to support their objectives in these meetings that will determine the quality of fishing for years to come. You can read the content and check out a brief summary of the issues on the Cal Trout Website and choose to sign on if you wish.

Thanks again for you concern, I hope I answered your question, more than happy to discuss anything you might have in mind, feel free to give a ring. Best to catch me in the morning, I have been on the water most afternoons and evenings.

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Nielsen; 08-13-2009 at 11:04 PM.