Thread: Hwy 80 thru Wyoming

Default Hwy 80 thru Wyoming

Hey guys,

I have an unexpected trip, soon. I am flying to Minneapolis and driving back to Sac. I have zero time to stop and play, but..c'mon. Opening an atlas I see I cross several rivers in Montana (N. Platte, Laramie, etc). Literally, would have an evening or morning to fish, at best, if possible.

Any thoughts/experiences/anything??

Stoping in Denver to hang with friends and fish. Then, back to 80 all the way to Sac.

Any suggestions along the way? Keep in mind, I'm on a tight schedule so quick access is key. Wish I had more time, but these are the breaks.

Are you taking Hwy 80 or 90? 90 goes through Montana, 80 goes through Wyoming. If your taking 80 through WY I recommend stopping at the Green River in Utah below Flaming Gorge Reservoir (Dutch John, UT). Just take 191 South from HWY 80 to Dutch John. Its really not that far out of the way I've done it a couple of times to break up cross country drives on 80. You can also continue on 191 and hook up with 40W and it will bring you back to 80 by SLC, not a bad drive. This loop would also bring you right by the middle section of the Provo and a few other smaller less known creeks.

The Green is a lot of fun if you've never been. Great hopper water/sight fishing.

Marc P.

Default Some water along the way....

Knudler Lake is just West of Laramie.

The Flaming Gorge loop is absolutely beautiful... Hwy 191 south, West of Rock Springs, goes down the East side, 530 out of Green River goes down the West side.

Interstate 80 also crosses the Green River west of Green River, WY and Jamestown.

Then, there's Echo Reservoir just above Coalville in UT, before you drop into Park City.

And, of course, the Truckee, once you get into CA...
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."