Thread: E. Carson last week, now where

Default E. Carson last week, now where

From my earlier post, I'm very, very new to fly fishing. Went out on the E. Carson and learn some, had fun, met some new people and caught a couple of fish. Before duck season starts I would like to get to know a few more rivers/streams in my area. Any ideas on where to try next...I was thinking lower Yuba..something close to home (El Dorado Hills). As a new fisherman, I would like to at least have some action to keep my interest peaked. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Hoser, I live close to you (Folsom) and have learned much in my decade of serious fly fishing from guys willing to take me along and explain what the hell they were doing. I'd be happy to do the same for you.

I just spent 45 minutes this evening with my two youngest daughters and one of their friends at local pond full of bluegills and bass. I didn't take a rod this time because their friend had never caught a fish before and, with having to keep three lines baited and releasing fish, I knew I wasn't going to have time to cast.

Anyway, the point is that there is a lot of water full of fish in our area. I am still learning the local waters myself, but I'm always looking for another good fishing partner. I can hook you up with some local bass and 'gills and occasionally have a seat on the boat chasing stripers. Sunday morning Ed and Phil are dragging me up the hill to chase brookies, which I have not done in quite a while.

If you are lucky, some of the others in the neighborhood will do the same for you.

Anyway, shoot me an email at mchurchill@downeybrand.com and I'll give you a call.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Hoser(i just can't get enough of calling someone that) do this. Break out a map of your area, determine the distance for say, 10 miles. Draw a circle around your home with this radius and seriously fish each and every thin blue line that appears on that map.

I've given this tip to a lot of people but I think hardly anyone actually does it. This will be your ticket to secluded, lightly fished waters right there in your back yard. Stay flexable, fish the waters you have close, you won't be disappointed.

By the way, do you by any chance have a Black Lab named Hosehead?

Just had to ask.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

If your kinda new and by yourself then the lower yuba isn't really a river that will keep your interest peaked as you mentioned. Now the north fork yuba shouldn't be to far from ya and thats really good fishing for someone new to flyfishing. Maps are your best freind when it comes to finding places to fish. Get all the national forest maps and start exploring, Thats part of the fun.

I second the North Yuba, I've been fishing it quite a bit in the past few months, and if your into fishing dry flies by all means go. Even mid day is producing big numbers. The resident rainbows are so beautiful! Check out my blog for the most current report.

JB
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.