Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top water stripers

Thanks again Charlie B.

This insight points me in the right direction and I can make my own adjustments once everything is matched up properly. Again, I've never been averse to figuring 'it' out on my own, which is some of the fun, but that requires a bit more free time that I don't have anymore...... Now, any free time is needed to actually fishing effectually and I can only hope I did my 'homework' during the off season.

I'll have to go back and dig around for the comments on the TCX #10 that I know exist, but didn't digest. If I remember correctly, the biggest improvement was in the #10 (TCX vs. TCR) I'm a big TCR fan.

As for the #11 OBSCW, I noticed that it's not listed on the Rio website as an offering?

In summary, as someone that has fished for stripers in all ways possible for so many years, I know I want 'in' on the Pole Dancer when it becomes available. I've seen firsthand how these fish crush a Billy-Club like popper in the surf so there is no such thing as too big to the fish, maybe the flycaster, but not the fish.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 08-01-2009 at 11:21 PM.

OS,

The TCR is a considerable amount stiffer in the tip of the rod than the new TCX. I absolutely loved my TCR's and still fish an 8 wt with a T-14 outbound cut at 30 feet .It handles all the flies in my box accept some ridiculous 10 " long clouser style flies with huge dumbel eyes and lots of bulk in the shoulders.

What Sage found with the TCR was that it was too technical for the masses.With lines matched close to the rod weight it became very critical to "do everything just right". The softer TCX is being very well received by fly fishers despite it price point. It is a very special tool as was the TCR.I love the fact that the 10 WT is so light compared to any other 10 WT I have ever cast. When you fish huge flies all day it starts to add up by 6 or 7 pm on an early fall dark to dark fishing excursion.

As for the 11WT OBSCW not being listed on Rio's site. It may not be yet ,but they make it and they are selling quite a few these days.I know Kiene's stocks it and has sold a number of them.I have actually asked them to make a 12 Wt as it just makes the 5/0 pole dancer that much easier to throw. We'll see if they think it would work for them.I have my fingers crossed.

Good luck this fall, wait to feel the weight then hammer em!!!!!

Cheers Chas

I will have to try the #10 TCX some day as I want to definitely have the right tool, etc.

My #8 TCRs are designated heirlooms and I think they are the gold standard for the TCRs. However, the chemistry that made the 'gold standard' in the #8 may not necessarily be the chemistry to make the #10. (I understand this in any rod lineup Sage has ever made.) From what it sounds, the #10 TCX is an improvement over the #10 TCR and I also appreciate the lighter weight in hand aspect too.

As for feeling the weight..... I understand completely. Many years ago, I ocassionally fished the surf at night with casting reel and surf rod tossing big poppers. In the darkness it's all about sound and feel.... Sound, when you need to stop the spool before an over run (backlash) on a long cast... and feeling of weight when the fish grabs the popper. You certainly don't see much out there, but every now and then I would actually see the striper bust out of the water and take the popper when moonlight was adequate.

This year was an exceptional year for fish on poppers on the beach. Too bad I missed out.

Default Moving This to the Top for Convenient Reference - TW Striper Equipment Review

Since it's fall.......

Bumping this to the top as it is good info provided by both Charlie B. and Charlie G. with regards to recommended rods/lines for fishing the Pole Dancer, AirHead, and other similar patterns for stripers, etc.

I'm also hoping by bumping this to the top that it would invite some additional comments based on the practical experience of the past year or so.....

Thanks ahead for the info.

Thumbs up Topwater Stripes

Yesterday afternoon on the water @ 4:45pm and fished a little past sunset yielded 8 LM up to 3.75lbs and a couple of stripers from 8-10lbs on top. I spent an hour or so topwater fishing Lm and then switched over to topwater Stripes. Afternoons/eve's are when you will see some of the larger fish eating especially when it has been warm temps during the early Fall. I've been getting good stripers on top for at least a month. Just do it.

i think i'm starting to get this. to throw the pole dancers, the 10wt. obscw with a 9 or 10ft. extra fast 9wt. rod, right? steve

I believe Charlie B. has been fishing the new RPLXi3 in #8 and may want to update his experiences with that rod. I'm not sure he's using the new Xi3 with OBS or with straight T14.

New tools each and every year.... hard to keep up to date and it's always appreciated when Charlie B. or Charlie G. chime in with their recomendations.

what brand is the rplxi3?

You'll find them as the Sage Xi3.

OS,

Sage is an amazingly progressive company that is always changing the game. Since the introduction of the XI3, I have not been throwing much else for my heavy top water work.I do use a 10wt Sage TCR and a 10wt Sage TCX but I have really fallen for the 9 wt XI3 for all the same applications.The lighter crisper feel of the 9 wt XI3 has made all day prospecting a much less physically demanding undertaking.I now own three of them, much to the chagrin of my bride.

I know that there are folks that will think I am crazy but my current favorite outfit is a Sage XI3 9wt with an 11 wt Rio outbound short CWF.I totally realize that I am throwing a line that by manufacturers standards is 4 line weights over the rod weight but it works superbly for me and what I want to do. That system allows me 75 to 95 feet of casting range with the 5/0 pole dancer depending on how well I happen to be casting that day.

Not too sure if that is the information that you are after but that is where I am at this stage in my top water evolution.Now all we need is a fish population that will lend itself to awesome top water action. I have not done that well this year at all but I have not fished all that much either.

Cheers and happy new year to all of you!!!!!

Chas