Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top water stripers

I can't keep up with the acronyms:

What is the CW on the end of the OBS?

Thanks.

I will have to try the OBS #10 on the TCR #9, which like you say, will allow me to up size the fly per conditions. Nevertheless, the #9 on the #9 does a outstanding job tossing smaller stuff like bubbleheads, etc. But, I understand the versatility of being able to upsize the pattern.

I'm assuming that you're talking in terms of the floating OBS lines for topwater, right.
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 07-31-2009 at 10:32 AM.

Say hey Sunfish..........
    I believe the "CW" stands for "cold water" since RIO makes the line for both warm and cold conditions. Unless of course the boys here are creating their own code of some sorts??????? Chas & Paul you got a new lingo happening?
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Thanks.

I have the CW versions myself... whew.

BTW, I get good distance and turn over using the #9 TCR and #9 OBSCW with biggest Airhead sold to date. Everyone's casting stroke is different, I know. However, I do feel that the #9 TCR could handle a heavier OBSCW, probably like the #10.

So I will try that combo soon.

Sunfish(Howard is it?)

I too have a #9 TCR and have the #10 OBSCW I line and it cast wonderful. Then I have my T-14 on a #9 Zaxis. And for Charlies grande Pole Dancer I am using a #10 TCX with the #11 OBSCW floater, still getting my timing down, but when you see this fly move its worth all the effort. I have also been using John Quigleys twisted leaders and feal they turn flies over much better.
    Last edited by Charlie Gonzales; 07-31-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Default talki'n bout that new fly

did you get any grabs that night??????
    or were you to tired from losing all those fish????
    Paul....
    Tight lines to all
    And, to all a good Fight!!!!!

I didnt fish the "dancer" very long that night, but I will fish it more everytime Im out.

Default no dance'n!!!!

if you throw it they will come......
    start early and toss it late into the night........
    oh yea...... wait, wait, wait on the back stroke......
    Paul....
    Tight lines to all

Thanks for all the actual 'field tested' insight. As we all know, it's very difficult to actually 'try befory you buy' in the world of flyfishing..... which is very problematic for obvious reasons. Combine this with extreme time constraints due to career and family responsibilities, and getting 'it' right, right out of the box is nearly impossible.

If you have any doubts, come look at all the stuff I bought that didn't work out too well. <grin>

Thanks.

O.S.
    that is where this board and belonging to a fly fishing club has been so helpful
    I can read about what other people like to use and better yet go fishing with them and try out their gear.....
    Paul....
    Tight lines to all

OS,

Your 9 WT TCR is a really powerful stick. I fished one for a long time, and loved it.Your being able to throw "most stuff" airheads and bubble heads etc is great but you would struggle with the larger pole dancer.

John Sherman throws the large pole dancer on a 9 wt , but he is a world class caster that can throw a 5th grader dressed for bobsledding 90 feet with nearly any rod.In other words he is not a fair representation of the rest of us mortals.

Having said that, you don't even stand a chance with a 9 on a 9. You do however stand the best chance with any big fly if you put a 10 WT OBSCW on your 9 WT TCR. The rod can handle it easily.This is what I was trying to explain in my previous post where I described my own set ups.

A 9 on a 9 limits what I can do and therfore is not desireable for me. If you have a 10 on a 9 then you can go to a bigger fly with ease and you can still do a smaller fly even easier.With this set up in a smaller fly siuation I like to put on a few more feet of leader for a better chance at being stealthy.

Again, everyones casting efficiency is different and you will seldom be identical with another angler taking into consideration all the possible variables. This board and Kiene's shop are damn good places to get the straight scoop on what works versus what is supposed to work in a labratory somewhere.

One other thing to note about the OBS series is that there is a definate sweetspot in the line with regards to how much overhang you have. Obviously fly size and leader type and length change that sweetspot greatly but you have to experiment with overhang to get what works for you.I am really thrilled with the OBS series as it really fits the type of striper fishing I like to do.I use the heck out of the intermediate OBS as well.

Have fun out there. I hope you get plenty of those heart pounding blowups this fall.

cheers Chas