Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here is my report on Davis

I have had swimmers itch and can describe it for you. If the bites were all over and really close together and they itch like mad then it is a good chance it is swimmers itch. The only thing I have heard will get rid of it is bleach, which I did not try. After about 5 or 6 days the itch went away along with the bites. I never felt anything biting me and what was worse was there were so many bites, both areas of my legs that were in the water were covered in red bumpy bite marks.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Their bites were about a dozen each and looked like a mosquito bite(small red dime sized welt ). Their legs, crotch, lower stomach were in the water. The bites were spread out and not clustered. They itch was not extreme from what they said and they only lasted a few hours if I remember correctly. Maybe they had a mild attack of swimmers itch because they weren't covered all over their legs. Backswimmers do bite humans but a dozen bites each? Seems unlikely. That's why I then thought of some small parasite such as what has been scarring up and attacking the trout. Now that I looked up swimmer's itch.....that seems the most likely reason. Unless you can tell me otherwise.

I've swam in the lake several times each summer for the last several decades and have never been bit. Swam this summer...no bites. Last summer was very low water, very weedy and the first summer post treatment.
    I've ready numerous dfg studies on the impact of rotenone on the zooplankton, microinvertebrates are thrown out of wack by it. The stability of the lake sees a decline in various things like copepods, parasites, zooplankton, microinvertebrates what have you, and then experiences a population explosion of various types of critters. Likely an explosion in the flatworm parasite perhaps?
    Last edited by 1flyfisher; 07-29-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Fish Davis for a few days this week.

Fish are still covered with various parasites.

Lake is LOW, Cow creek is a slough of weeds.

Caught some fish, best day was a bakers dozen++ landed and missed many light grabs. Most were around 14". I caught a few that were close to 19-20". There were a few recent planters that were clean. Still a nasty situation.

Lots of BLOOD MIDGES around Jenkins. Very good to see that. ALL The bugs are there. Plenty of Callibaetis this summer and now seeing some nice numbers of blood midges. Damsels are there they just didn't come off due to weather. PRAY for Snails. Saw many around Mosquito to Lightning Tree and in that cove back there. Need the lake to fill up and wash them out of there into the rest of the lake.
    Pray for snow.

Jenkins is looking NASTY. Be careful driving in here once we get rain.