Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California Gold

Thats an amazing trip. The goldens are bueatiful. And you did it alone, Makes it that much sweeter. I know the eastern sierra sand well, I think its pumice sand.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. I couldn't have done it without the incredible wealth of knowledge and support right here. I still have a lot to learn and places to go. Just too many fish, and too little time

Flycanoe, yeah, I've become obsessive/compulsive about weight because of two injured knees and a bad back. You know it's bad when you start spending the big bucks for titanium tent stakes, and weighing your chapstick on a gram-counting food scale. It's just my tool to get me where I want to be so I can spend more time fishing.

John

Default Thanks

What a great report.
    Your expression of feeling like an 8 year old was wonderful. I feel like that often when I get to fish anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jburge View Post
    Flycanoe, yeah, I've become obsessive/compulsive about weight because of two injured knees and a bad back. John
    Yeah, I'm in the same situation now that I want go backpacking again after a 20 year absence at the spry age of 51. I now have a bad ankle after a fracture which now has extra hardware in it (plate and screws) as well as arthritis in my lower back from sports. These problems are all manageable with proper training but clearly lowering my pack weight is a must if I want to continue and do longer trips.

After 2 recent trips with a pack of 40lbs (body weight 155lbs), it's clear I had to reduce my pack weight to minimize wear and tear on an older body. So bought a scale and started weighing everything. Now with a lighter wallet, pack is down to 25lbs for 2 days and can get to 25lbs for 4 days if I take out a few more extras.

But would like to know what type of light weight shelter you are using, is it a tarp tent or something enclosed?

Thumbs up

John I was with you on every step. Excellent account. I really appreciate your glee & awe in the whole experience. Thanks for sharing it. The High Sierra is truly a special place to be.

To lighten my load, I often took food that didn't require cooking. There was no stove, fuel, mess kit, etc. I repackaged the food items into zip lock bags, used a Swiss Army knife (and a spoon), and one cup. Worked like a charm. Never felt like I needed more. I minimized clothing, minimized tackle, and made everything work for more than one use (or it didn't go into my pack). Dropping weight wasn't a problem. The biggest criteria was not to compromise my safety.

"The Range of Light" is a wilderness that can change lives for the better.
    Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by k.hanley; 07-27-2009 at 01:59 PM.
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Eat fish to save weight.

Eating fish would be nice however, the majority of the fish in there are Goldens, and it is all catch and release. The Kern I am not too sure about, but those gorgeous fish deserve to live anyways. Although the thought did cross my mind when I caught some browns below the Templeton Barrier. However, once again those monsters must have lived right in that very spot their entire lives and where just to amazing to kill.
    If he had it his way nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it

Yeah, I'm with Fochetti on that one... couldn't bring myself to eat those magnificent creatures. Definitely in a different locale.

And Ken, I like your minimalist, multi-tasking approach. That's exactly how I look at it. Although I do cook, it's only water. I can bring 2 cups of water to a full rolling boil with 1/2 tablespoon of alcohol. And my complete alcohol stove setup is less than 4 ounces. I often dehydrate my own meals, so I can repackage and spice 'em up the way I like. Check out the book "Freezer Bag Cooking" by Sarah Kirkconnell. Just wait 'til you taste your own pasta and sauce (dehydrated marinara is just like a fruit roll up) in the middle of nowhere. Mmmm, good.

Without getting too far into a backpacking forum ...

Flycanoe, my shelter is a hammock because it's absolutely the best thing in the world for my back. I actually have 3. Two I purchased, and one I sewed myself. Each, for different conditions. This trip I took my Hennessy (http://hennessyhammock.com/) and last year in the high Sierras I took my Speer (http://www.speerhammocks.com/). The one I made does not have a bug net, so I wait until later in the year to use it. All that to say none of my shelter setups weigh more than 2 pounds, and I have a down bag that'll easily take me into the 30's that also weighs just under 2 pounds.

John