Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite spey rod Klamath and Trinty river

Default Favorite spey rod Klamath and Trinty river

What are your guys Favorite light spey rods klamath, Rougue and Trinty steel??

thanks Norcal Tom
    Last edited by norcal tom; 07-25-2009 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Can't forget the Rougue

I feel a 12'6" #6 rod is the best all around tool for spey fishing the klamath, trinity, and rogue. That being said, my favorite is a Beulah Platinum 12'6" 6 weight rod and a 385 grain scandi head.

There are a lot of other good ones out there as well such as the Sage Z-Axis 6126-4, Echo TR 6126-4, and C.F. Burkheimer 7127-4 which feels more like a strong 6 or light 7 weight. There are many others out there as well but these would be my top choices.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Default Favorite Klamath, Trinity and Rogue spey rod...

Hi Tom,

Meiser S2H106 System 6 with 360 gr Skagit head, and Meiser S2H126456 Highlander with Rio Windcutter 6/7/8 and 12' floating tip for dries and greaseline and Rio Skagit 350 for sink tips up to 150 grains (T-8, T-10 work best)

Sage Z-Axis products: 6110, 5126, 6126 are equally good for that application- I just don't have them (yet!)

Lots of others, before I get carried away...you asked about faves!

Don
    Last edited by Don Powell; 07-25-2009 at 08:44 AM.

Thumbs up

Meiser Highlander 12'6" 4/5/6, matched with a scandi head in the 350 grain range its a great setup for these rivers. Kevin

I really like my TFO 11' 6wt switcher. The smaller rod is nice when I'm fishing some of the smaller pockets on the trin and just pictching out small casts. I also fish a 6126-3 sage. The longer rod works better for some of the big runs on the Klamath. It can be tad heavy until you hook one of the bigger adults up there.

Any of the rods listed above are great choices.

Mike

I think that a #6-7 Switch rod or a #5-6 Spey rod would be good for those rivers in the fall with small/medium flies fished in the top part of the water column.

**Most like the shorter Airflo Compact Scandis heads on them with a selection of 10' Poly/Versi leaders. They are easier to cast and learn on than longer belly lines.

**Try a classic "rachet reel" or "click-n-pawl reel" for this fishing. It is really fun to hear that wining sound of the pawls with a fresh run hot summer/fall Steelhead.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

All good suggestions. Here's one more: Gary Anderson's 1255-4. A twelve foot 5 inch five weight. A super light weight half pounder rod for rivers on the west coast. This rod has enough power to throw light flies and swing with a floater or intermediate tip.
    Terry

I have an Anderson 1204 that I love.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

I'll second Terry's vote for Gary Anderson's 1255-4. That is one sweet lightweight two-hander! My second choice would be the SAGE 5126 Z-Axis. Matt.

Default T and T 12ft 6wt

I have had this rod for several years and really think it is the best I've cast as far as 6 wt go. It has landed fish on the T, the D, Yuba, Feather, and the NU. I use a skagit 500 gr floater, 678 WC, 350 skagit tips, and it even throws the 5wt line sage made for the 5120 series rod. This is truly a great all around spey rod. I hope to fish the Klamath this fall with it! chris