Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comments on Korkers boots?

Default Comments on Korkers boots?

Hi,

I've had the same set of Big 5 $15 hikers with the lugs ground off and a felt kit glued on 'em for 20 years. Just last week the sole of the boot (nope, the felt is still stuck and stuck GOOD!) chose to fall off while wading the American for shad.

Two days before a 2 day road trip rock hopping the Upper Sac and McCloud drainages.

Well, glad it happend BEFORE and not during. Lucky I insisted on squeezing in that last AR stint.

Anyway, I got a set of Korkers boots to replace these. These boots have the replaceable soles so I can hike in on rubber lug soles, then swap to felt, or studded felt, or studded rubber, or whatever else they have.

Neat idea - no, no Vibram option yet.

At any rate, the slimy bowling balls on the bottom of the Upper Sac were challenging even with the felt soles. I don't recall having as much trouble with my budget specials, but it could just be because I was thinking about it.

My main concern was that the way the soles work is that they slot into the outline of the boot such that maybe it ends 3/8" before the absolute edge of the sole. The felt does protrude below the rubber around the edge, but there's no edge bite if you know what I mean.

I've looked around for reviews that state this as being a big issue, but I can't find anything but good to glowing responses to this. Could it be that I'm suffering from apples and oranges on different days?

I wish I hadn't thrown away my old boots as I could've put one on each foot and did a sanity check!

Someone please put my fears to rest. No, I haven't waded the American again yet, but the old wading sites are now 6 feet under!

The boots themselves fit great, dry quickly, and were reasonably priced given they came with two sets of soles.

Thanks!

_SHig

I haven't used mine a whole lot yet. However, they did a decent job. I slipped around as well on the studded "kling-on" when it came to algae covered rocks.

Next time out, I'm going to put the felt on and see if they perform any better.

Regarding the edge surrounding the sole. That didn't seem to make a difference for me. I tend to flat foot it on rocks while I'm in the water. But, I can see where it may be an issue if you are tip toeing on a rock or two.

Default Korker Boots

I had a pair and used them on the Upper Sac twice. The felt bottoms peeled off after the second day, and had to be replaced, and the new soles did the same thing.
    I have the boots deep in my closet now.
    A guide friend of mine had a pair as well, and had the same problem
    I live on the Trinity River and flyfish, catch and release, almost everyday if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie steelhead View Post
    I had a pair and used them on the Upper Sac twice. The felt bottoms peeled off after the second day, and had to be replaced, and the new soles did the same thing.
    I have the boots deep in my closet now.
    A guide friend of mine had a pair as well, and had the same problem
    Were these the first generation soles with the Velcro or the newer ones with the rubber heel loop?

_SHig

I've had my Korkers for several years haven't had any problems whatsoever I like the felt studded and switch to the rubber when I'm getting in a boat. I have been thinking of sitching to the new boots with the aquastealth sole but haven't gotten down to which is first a new Hardy rod or the boots and new waders.
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

Default I had to toss my korkers

For two reasons:

1. The interchangeable souls fell off from time to time while wading and even more frequently when hiking with the the boot soles on. Being waist deep in the Pit with one sole flapping in the current is not what you are looking for in a boot...

2. They shrunk a lot between wears if allowed to totally dry. In fact, they shrunk so much it hurt like heck to put them back on. Once in the water and wet again they would stretch back out over an hour or so. But this was HORRIBLE and PAINFUL when I had a hike to get to the river. I remember a terrible hike down the Conservancy section of the McCloud after grabbing a first come first served tag.

Given the above it was an easy call to replace the Korkers....

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    For two reasons:

1. The interchangeable souls fell off from time to time while wading and even more frequently when hiking with the the boot soles on. Being waist deep in the Pit with one sole flapping in the current is not what you are looking for in a boot...

2. They shrunk a lot between wears if allowed to totally dry. In fact, they shrunk so much it hurt like heck to put them back on. Once in the water and wet again they would stretch back out over an hour or so. But this was HORRIBLE and PAINFUL when I had a hike to get to the river. I remember a terrible hike down the Conservancy section of the McCloud after grabbing a first come first served tag.

Given the above it was an easy call to replace the Korkers....
    Were these the first gen with the Velcro?

_SHig

I dont think Ill ever go back to those boots. Even though my experience was with the first generation, having to stand on one foot in 5.5 feet of moving water to reattach a sole was almost deadly. The whole time the words in my head were "If you walk on the boot without a sole the warranty is voided." That and "Death, Death, Death, Oh Sh*T."

Buying 4 license from now on via Clarkston, WA

AVOID them at ALL cost! My good buddy and i have gone on several trips and without fail he loses a sole. Korkers offers to replace them cheaply and even offered to upgrade his old boots to the new version for 75 bucks. Give me a break, 75 bucks!!

Stick with sole that are glued and sewn on and maybe throw some studs on there too.

AVOID THE KORK!!!
    Not unless round's funny!?!

Don't know what generation, but the sole was held on via a plastic lip and velcro strap to the back of the boot.