Thread: Pacifica

Default Pacifica

Apparently there have been something like 70 or so Stripers caught by the Pacifica crowd in the last few days...some to 35 and even 55 pounds they rumor....

Thumbs up Surf Stripers....

Walter,.... Have the Stripers been caught at Linda Mar, Rockaway or Devils Slide

If they're down the coast aways, maybe it's time to visit the Half Moon Bay Breakwater.... Or going north, Limantour or Drakes....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Surf stripers?

Darian & Wjorg,

It sounds like you both are pretty seasoned at chasing striped in the surf. I heard that fall was a prime time to target these fish on the coast, would you two be willing to share some more info about this fishery? (Time of the year, general locations, gear used, etc.)

Thanks in advance -

Pete

Thumbs up Stripersssss....

Pete,.... Most of my experience with Stripers in the surf is over 15 years old. However, I can provide some general stuff.

Stripers move into the ocean from the Delta in the late spring, after spawning in the rivers is completed (late April/May) They usually appear along the beaches north and south of the Golden Gate during late may and early June. Currently, Stripers are in Monterey Bay in addition to the Pacifica area and points in between. Generally, they remain until the fall when they return again to the Delta to winter over. October/November are prime times in the Delta (weather permitting). There're some bait shops in Pacifica, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Soquel, etc., that can provide up to date info.

I've caught Stripers around the County lines between Santa Clara/San Mateo, at the breakwater at Half Moon Bay and a couple of beaches in Pacifica. Look for people fishing and observe. If you see birds or fish breaking, get into action. Fish for perch/halibut until you see something worth pitching to.

Equipment required can be a 8 or 9 weight rod, weight forward or shooting head lines, line management basket( ) and some flies that imitate bait fish, Lamprey or crustaceans (shrimp, sand crabs, etc.). Long casts are the rule.

Up here (NorCal), wading wet is not for the faint of heart. Dress warm and wear waders. Water temps can be very cool along with air temps when it's foggy/breezy.... Above all, keep your eyes on the surf and don't wade deep unless you're comfortable in that environment. Knee deep is good until you feel good about wading in surges.

Get hold of a tide book, map(s) of the beaches ask questions and start exploring. There're some guys who post on this BB that can provide better info. Also, you might try posting your question over on Blanton's BB. Lotsa surf guys over there.

Good luck
    Last edited by Darian; 06-15-2009 at 03:03 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

Thank you so much for all this information. Fishing the coast is something I'm starting to experiment with and your information really helps.

Pete

Fish have been caught in good numbers almost for the past month..at almost all the beaches from the Gate to Half Moon Bay and further South

Fish have been caught in good numbers and they are good sized for this early in the year..mostly in the teens to some up to about 25 lbs..

Word got out and one night there where 70+ guys all throwing top water..way to spook them out of the area guys..

The fish have been chasing mostly smelt and mackerel..

Actually the bait fishermen have been doing the best..

the water isn't really warm enough for top water but fish are being caught.

The hardware guys with hair raisers, and mickey jigs and Kastmasters have been getting fish also..

I went out with my fly rod last weekend and grabbed the wrong fly box and only had a few steelhead jigs..Got into the mackerel and hooked a few bigger stripers but couldn't land any of them

Got my biggest fish last weekend right at twilight..19 lbs..

The water is totally blown out this weekend due to 45+ winds last couple days and a washing machine water..

If anyone wants a couple tips or pointers pm me..I am down in Pacifica pretty much for the next couple months