Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mutterings abound

I am sorry to say it but I agree with you Ed, why would all these people be lying about their days. And pics don't lie. This is my first year ever fishing for shad. I went out two times, first time was before the run was even hot caught three and ldr 3. Next time caught 4 and this was about a month ago. I just don't get why all the anger. It is called fishing, if you have to catch to have a good time, I have a suggestion QUIT. I think most people on here agree that being out on a river casting is good enough.
    If he had it his way nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it

Default Don't Sugar Coat It

Way to go Ed. Don't sugar coat it. Ya gotta get out there and fish when the fish will eat and with whatever means works. Keep trying something else and maybe it'll never happen..
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I am not sure if your posts are meant to discourage fishermen (thin the "competition") or to glean information from some incredibly accomodating soul, but after a while it just gets old. Please feel free to take a can of worms down to some kiddie pond and drown your sorrows with them.

Default trolling by a single celled organism

Fly fisherman normally don't troll. Amoeba's are single celled animals that move by changing shape constantly. Normally you can't hear them, but occasionally they make an irritating whining sound.They are parisites that feed off higher life forms such animals and humans. Fly fisherman should avoid amoeba's if at all possible and encourage positive reports on the American.

Rusty Fly

Way to go Ed?

I like Ed, but found that was incredibly rude. Even by my standards....

My clients went 17-31 last nite and had numerous hits that never hooked up.

I agree that it has been a strange season, but the fish are there. Spots that held fish in years past are not holding fish this year. It took longer than normal for fish to hit in the Sunrise/Sailor Bar area.

Some fish came in very early this year. My first trip on the A was 5/3/ and we hooked at least 20. In my estimation those fish had to enter the river mid April.

We are now seeing fresh fish.

Flows are dropping faster this year than in any years past. 1750 as we speak. Usually 3-5000 at this time.

I started thinking that the run was going to end early, but with the fresh fish we are now getting, who the heck knows.

I never really get a handle on the American. When I think I've got it figured out, Mother Nature throws me a change up... so adjust a smoke one to left...
    Get to whats reel

I concur with Ed and a few of the other guys. Amoeba put this target on his own back at the beginning of the Shad run. I myself have held off because my post would have been reminiscent of the bad Steelhead threads.

Walter, I'm not sure if you've followed the Shad posts from the beginning, if not give them a read. Amoeba pretty much called out some of the guys, guides in particular, on the open board. The same guys offered good advice, which was openly ignored. Only to be accused of lying about how much water they cover, and going over the speed limit on the river. Kinda hard to do in a drift boat.

Anyhow, if your the only person not catching fish on what most others are SHOWING(not saying), to be a great run, you need to rethink how you are fishing. If your constantly posting 0 fish days to keep others away....I'll be blunt, it's just stupid. These are Shad, not dwindling Steelhead. This is the American River...runs right through the capitol city, there are not any real "secret" spots here.

The guys I feel bad for are Jay, Charlie, and a few others who tried to help. Only to get a slap in the face.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Dude, if you ain't catching shad in copious numbers now that the flows have dropped to mucho better fly fishing levels, you are seriously doing something wrong. Might be the wrong spot, wrong time, wrong fly, or wrong equipment, I really don't know exactly what, but you're definitely doing something wrong. Since I've never fished with you, and can't comment on some of the "wrongs", the only advice I can offer is the fly---Wet Pinky!!! We three "old timers" just finished a three day expedition up on the Big A and saw (and caught) copious amounts of shad. From Paradise all the way to Upper Sunrise was going fantastic so the spot isn't that important. I'll do a little bragging, and here are only my scores----Thur:28, Fri:32, Sat:9. Why only nine on Sat? We only fished a few hours because my shoulder is too sore, my fingers too cut up, and I've got four blisters on my casting hand! Now that's a good sign of the times for the past three days! Dude, if you are seriously interested in changing your luck, you need to change something.

Quote Originally Posted by Finsane View Post
    My clients went 17-31 last nite and had numerous hits that never hooked up.

I agree that it has been a strange season, but the fish are there. Spots that held fish in years past are not holding fish this year. It took longer than normal for fish to hit in the Sunrise/Sailor Bar area.

Some fish came in very early this year. My first trip on the A was 5/3/ and we hooked at least 20. In my estimation those fish had to enter the river mid April.

We are now seeing fresh fish.

Flows are dropping faster this year than in any years past. 1750 as we speak. Usually 3-5000 at this time.

I started thinking that the run was going to end early, but with the fresh fish we are now getting, who the heck knows.

I never really get a handle on the American. When I think I've got it figured out, Mother Nature throws me a change up... so adjust a smoke one to left...
    Actually, if anything, the flows and the timing this year (IMO) are pretty conducive to allowing shad to enter (commit) the river in good amounts and keeping them here to spawn. It's the years where the flows are a big yo-yo (confusing fish) that would really stunt what could have been a good run, etc.

More than anything, the 3,500 plus cfs flow through the first week of June deminished actual catching opportunities other than for those in boats, etc. Now that the flow is down to a level whereby opening up the river to very good wading opportunities, the catching should really improve. In fact, I know it has already and I'm sure we're going to see great reports in the weeks ahead.

It sure has been a weird weather pattern during this shad season. Perhaps the 'season' starts now and runs wild right on through July?! The fish certainly aren't going by the calendar hanging on the wall like you or me........ <grin>

Went over to Sailors last nite just to watch. I was there from 8-8:45. @ boats up in the hole. and none down by the put ins. Numerous guys/gals on both shores. Very slow for this time of year. I saw 1 of the boats land 1 fish. That was it. A few possible hookups on shore, but I think they were snagged on bottom. Really wierd...
    Get to whats reel