Thread: Shasta Area Fishing Report

Default Shasta Area Fishing Report

Fishing conditions on the Klamath, Upper Sac, McCloud, Pit, Hat Creek, Fall River and Lower Sac are not going to get much better! The flows have dropped and are steady, the bugs are hatching and the fish are on 'em.

Thunderstorms are in the forecast and the overcast sky has improved fishing midday. This will continue provided storms are not too severe.

The Salmonfly hatch on the Klamath is in full swing. Some of the fish are taking softly as they are stuffed to the gills!

The Upper Sac, McCloud and Pit have good hatches of Stoneflies, Mayflies and Caddis making it the best time of year for dry fly fishing. Flows are low and clear making them very wadeable though the water clarity has made them a bit more technical than usual for this time of year.

Hat Creek and Fall River hatches are in full swing and the Lower Sac continues to put out trophy trout though with the weather it has been turning a bit on and off. Water clarity has improved on the Lower Sac so that the evening dry bite has picked up.

For a full report check out the ShastaTrout website or better yet drop us a line for the very latest. We would like nothing more than to point you in a direction you are likely to enjoy whether you are interested in guide service or not.
    Last edited by Craig Nielsen; 06-10-2009 at 09:39 PM.

I always look forward to your detailed reports. Thank you and Tightlines, Craig.
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

Thumbs up Excellent

That's great. I'm headed up from southern california June 21 and will be fishing the shasta headwaters. Thanks a bunch for your report... I wasn't quite looking forward to this trip enough

Default Drop a line!

Trout Thumb:
    Please feel free to drop a line a few days before you arrive and I'll share all I can about what has been fishing best for us. It should be good!
    Travel safely, see you soon.
    Last edited by Craig Nielsen; 06-12-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Buying 4 license from now on via Clarkston, WA

Hey Craig,

e-mail or PM sent!

mike
    Not unless round's funny!?!

Mike:
    PM did not work, sent you email with the link provided. If you didn't get it let me know or give a ring, I am home this evening and will be next.

Default Klamath & McCloud Updates

Water temps on the Klamath have climbed over 69 degrees which has not only shut off the awesome Salmonfly bite we were enjoying but made it impossible to practice catch and release fishing. We have rescheduled and cancelled our remaining trips until the Steelhead season begins in October to avoid any harm to the fishery. We recommend you seek other waters if you are visiting the area.

The McCloud has been in great shape this spring and the word is out. The evening dry fly bite has been outstanding. If you are planning a visit expect to see many other anglers as it has become the McCrowded. Yesterday there were ten vehicles at Ash Camp on a Monday morning! The campground at Ah Di Na has overflowed on the weekends and has remained about half full on weekdays. Typically the fishing pressure eases after the last weekend in June while the fishing remains good. Other local waters including the Upper Sac and Pit are also fishing very well and there has been considerably more room to spread out. Feel free to drop us a line for the very latest. If you are interested in guide service or not we would like nothing more than to point you in a direction you would most enjoy.