Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pit River Road Closure

Default Pit River Road Closure

I don't know if anyone has written about the Pit River Road Closure or about the new camp grounds going in which are probably related. I fished the Pit a few weeks ago and again last Saturday. While camping there a PG&E official came by our campground to tell us that some new campgrounds are going to be built on the Pit with tiolets, numbered sites, fees and recservations.....Rats. Personally I think it stinks. I like roughing it in the canyon plus I think it keeps out the less hardy souls.

I was fishing the Pit on saturday and noticed some new signs had been erected which stated that the Pit River Road would be closed from July 6, 2009 to December 2009. I also noticed some fresh survey marks in #3. It looked like a campground may be coming to my favorite run.... Double Rats.

Oh, by the way the fishing was awesome as usual. Lost count on how many I caught but I caught a couple on a salmon fly dry pattern that I was using as an indicator.

So if you want to hit the Pit river Canyon you better get there before July 6th.

I fished Pit 3 on Thursday 6/11/09 with two fish to hand, one trout and one squaw fish while high sticking nymphs. I too noticed the signs indicating closure of the road from mid July through December 09. I had to access the river road via Upper Clark Creek Road as the lower road over the damn was closed. Before Thursday I wasn't even aware that the upper road existed.

When following up about the closure with a few locals, the woman at Vaughn's Fly Shop and one of the Rangers at McArthur-Burney Falls Park, I received conflicting information. Suffice it to say, it looks as if PG&E is both adding a new power house, and is really going to build a campground at the spot some call "Tunnel" because of the old bypass tunnel, which is on the same section as Ruling Creek. I agree that this is extremely disappointing because it will mean the spot, which I call my two fish hole, will be lost to high fishing pressure.

As an aside, I always understood that it was illegal to rough it out on the river and, as a result, have always avoided doing so. Am I, or was I, incorrect in this belief?

That said, I wasn't able to ascertain with any certainty whether the river road would still be open via Upper Clark Creek Road during the project or if the whole road would be closed along with Lower Clark Creek Road. Again, I received conflicting answers to my questions.

The lady at Vaughn's even stated that some new contract had been negotiated with the Forrest Service and flows were going to be increased to native or traditional flows as a result. She rather dramatically stated this would be the end of fishing the Pit. The Ranger I spoke to at McArthur-Burney Park did not believe her information to be accurate. He understood that flows were going to be increased up by the Clear Water Lodge for recreational boating, but that the river below Lake Britton would remain the same.

If someone in the know could post accurate information it would be greatly appreciated. The scoop will help me decide how many more times I am going to have to make the trip from Clayton between now and mid July.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

The lady at vaughns is right on the money with reguards to the pit. What is even more troubling to me is that they are even talking about white water flow releases on the pit 4 and 5 reaches . You can kiss the Isonychia hatches goodbye on the pit.

The instream flows are being increased on the pit to help out a species of sucker fish that is the main food source for bald eagles in the area. The proposed flows arent conducive to safe wading.

some info can be found here:http://www.myoutdoorbuddy.com/fishin....php?water=616

and here http://www.clearwaterlodge.com/relicensing.shtml

For those that don't know Tfisher (I am proud to say I do) he is a professional fishery biologist who is working a number of issues in the NorCal area for the State of Calif. He is also a pretty good fly flinger to boot. Rest assured that you're getting the straight skinny from him.

Tfisher

You are right the increased flows form 150 to 300 will improve the habitat and several years down the road when the stream banks have adjusted to the flows. It will be easier to wade the river.
    The pulsed flows that the whitewater river rapers are asking for on pit 4 and 5 will definately harm the isonychia on those reaches. Just look at the north fork feather
    the isonychia hatch is non-existent on that river now.

Tfisher thanks for the informative post.

Ya, I figure we will have to adjust to the new flows and discover all of our new favorite runs. As some of my favorite spots may be unwadable with the new flows but they will probably be replaced by other spots that weren't productive before the flow change.

Today in the Redding Record there is an article on the "flushing flows" one weekend a month during June, July and August. The US Fish and Wildlife wants to stop the summer weekend flushes because they are affecting the Shasta Crawfish population. I imagine this will probably also help the isonychia that Shawn has written about. They should probably do the flushing in the winter and spring when the natural run off would also be higher.

http://www.redding.com/news/2009/jun...-water-on-pit/

Does anyone know how many campgrounds will be going in and where they will be located? As far as I know there will be 2 in Pit #4 but I am not sure if there are any slated for Pit # 3.

Look at the man with the big brain. When it comes to the Pit and rivers like it, I tend to lean towards the school of thought that if it isn't broke, don't mess with it. I have really enjoyed the freedom of the primitive camp sites, and excellent fishing. I have always appreciated the solitude of the river, no offense to the rafters, but they take that away. I have also learned to love crawling all around that river, and with higher flows I think that may be a bit more difficult and more dangerous. I know I'm being selfish but since 80% of my fishing is spontaneous ( wife, two kids ) the Pit has been on the top of my list, when I get the nod. Thanks Lynn for the heads up, and thanks Tfisher for "the Mans" side of the topic.

<<<Look at the man with the big brain>>>
    Comments like this is why Tfisher changed his name and rarely posts at this site any more. IMNSHO, a big loss to this community when someone with his background and knowledge goes away. I have no problems when people disagree on something, but I have big problems when people resort to name calling.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. That's just my apparently bad sense of humor. Thats probably why my circle of friends is so small. I was only trying to express my dismay with the future changes to this beautiful river. TFishers input was very informative and I appreciate info from all perspectives. The only thing that may have rubbed me the wrong way was the statement about " no point in complaining about it.... it's going to happen anyway."
    Once again sorry for the "name calling".

The reason for his statement of "it's going to happen anyways" is because the FERC licensing process is completed and no amount of complaining is going to change it. It's over and done with as the license is issued. Your views were expressed by many others and were considered in the licensing process. As in most things political involving govt agencies, the end result is usually a compromise that satisfies no one.