Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, at least someone in the boat landed one

Default Well, at least someone in the boat landed one

Took my little boat (12 foot Gregor) out on the AR for the first time Sunday morning. My friend Wayne and I launched at Upper Sunrise at 6:00 a.m.--first one's on the water there. Saw a few shad rolling right in front of us as we were launching, then foolishly motored up a couple of hundred yards to Wayne's favorite spot, where we had no action.

A short time later, a guy launched a drift boat and set up out in front of the launch site, where he quickly hooked two shad.

We tried a couple of different spots over four hours. Wayne LDR'd one and landed one hen that was followed to the boat by three bucks that hovered around her until she popped off as Wayne reached down to unhook her.

No hits for me, but with the T-11 head on a 7-wt, I at least felt my fly ticking bottom.

Saw some speycasters on shore pick up a couple, but the "success story" of the morning was a young girl fishing conventional with her dad and a conventional guide. The drifted past us around 8:30, spotted a big school off to our side, then circled around and anchored above the school, where they quickly started hooking fish. She landed 8 or so in the next 45 minutes (some on rods handed to her after the hookup), to her great joy and our entertainment.

Definitely have to get out in the evening this week. The guide told us he thought the bite was very slow for the number of fish he had seen in the school.

Mike
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

Default Steelhead Punch Card

Have any of you board members who fish Shad on the American. Especially when wading.

Have you ever been asked by fish and game (while Shad fishing) to see your Steelhead

Punch Card?????

Never seen a Warden on the AR personally. Come to think about it, never had a Warden come up to me ever in California except on the Sac where the survey crews would stop by for striper numbers.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Survey crew is the only thing I saw and that was last year. They were just wanting a count of fish caught, but never asked for license's.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

10 years ago on the Yuba there was a warden going around checking for licenses, barbeless hooks, and steelhead punch card. I can understand the first two, but, IMO, the steelhead punch card is flat out stupid during shad season. (This is not an open invite to debate, just my opinion)

In any case, our state is home to technology of all sorts, yet we do not have an automated fishing and hunting license system where all one needs is a barcode on a card that would instantly tell a warden exactly what licenses we purchased, etc. And, if the license is lost or forgotten, a cross reference between CA Driver License would be invaluable as well.

As for the A, I haven't seen a warden out checking things out during shad season in years.....

Not me but they have checked me for license, delta stamp and pinched hook barbs.

yeah, i'd say askiing for a punchcard might be a little bit much but not unreasonable. Unreasonable would be the point where they write you up for not having it and you're obviously fishing for shad or striper.

Either way, I just fold mine up and it stays with the license in the license holder so it's a moot point.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Survey crew passed us about 9:00 Sunday and just asked for numbers and what type of fish.

By the way, as we were pulling my boat out, an SUV full of conventional gear guys pulled up with a small boat to launch. While I tossed a big clouser in the deep hole to check if any stripes were home, Wayne engaged them in conversation regarding the fishing. They pulled out a big ice chest and showed us a very large striper they caught down near Antioch. It had to be 30 or 35 pounds.

It's a damn shame they killed it, but what a monster. That's the first really big striper I've seen in person.
    Life is too short to drink bad beer.

First time fishing for shad on the American a coule of years ago I was checked by a female warden. She asked what I was fishing for and I said shad. She asked about the barb on my fly and I got that sinking oh sh*& feeling - I had forgot to pinch the barb down. I explained that I had never fished the American before but normally fish barbless anyway, and showed her all my other barbless shad flys. She was cool and said if I had answered steelhead she would have wrote me up. She never asked for a steelhead card.
    Doublehaulin' for Stripers

Default warden

Talked to one at upper Sunrise last fri the 28th may. Nice guy checked licenses and shot the
    bull for a few minutes. I like em checking. Keeps riff raff outa here.
    Burl