Thread: Another 5/28 AR Shad report

Thumbs up Another 5/28 AR Shad report

My daughter Maggie and I went out with Charlie Gonzales for a half day on Thursday.
    He worked hard all afternoon, jockeying the boat into new positions to keep us in fish. He obviously knows the sweet spots on the river because Maggie and I, both of whom have never shad fished before, hooked upwards of 20 fish, bringing 12 to the net. It was Maggie's first fishing trip and the score at the end of the day was Maggie 9, me 3 .
    Besides knowing the river, Charlie has a great touch with kids. His patience with Maggie, who is 7, was awesome. In spite of tangles almost every cast for the first few hours, he kept working with her and made it fun for her so she never got frustrated. She had a blast. She hasn't really shown much interest in fishing in the past, but she told all her friends about our day (stressing that she outfished me, 3 to 1, apparantly, as the kids all ribbed me about it when I picked her up from school today.) She even watched Adventure Guides, Fly Fishing Edition with me this afternoon--a first.
    As most of you already know, Charlie is a great guide. I'd especially recommend him for anyone who wants to give thier kids a wonderful introduction to fishing.
    I'm pretty new to fly fishing, myself, and Charlie showed me how to get one skating a dry. That fish wound up being one of my LDRs, but what a hoot.
    Kurt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5280037a.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5280040.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5280044.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	454  

Wow, you can't look at that first shot without a smile. Seeing a child's eyes light up like that is something special.

And the Lion King shorts just put it over the top.

Charlie, you should see if Kurt will let you put that one on your website. You'll be hooking parents left and right.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Thumbs up

Post of the frigg'n month right there! Good job you guy's!!!!!!!!
    The more people I meet, the more I love my dog.

Team Stinky Duck

Thank you so very much for yesterday Kurt! That day will stay with me for years to come. What a sweet little girl, you and the mrs. should be very proud. Thanks for posting the pics also.

The day started out great, not long after anchoring Kurt hooked up with his first fish(that first one always takes the edge off and I can relax a bit). We go a bit without any action, then Maggie hooks up with her first fish(we're all hootin and hollerin) and she gets it in the boat. Of course we want totake a picture of her first fish, so Im taking care of the fish, trying not to stress it while Kurt gets his camera ready, we all get into position, and the fish flips out of my hands right into the river! I couldnt beleive it, her first fish and no picture. She was a great sport and said we would get a picture of the next one. I repositon the boat, and soon she hooks up again. Again she does a great job of fighting the fish right to the boat, and just as I slide the net under the fish, it comes unbuttoned. Two fish and no picture. So third times a charm and the rest of the night went great. And as Kurt mentioned he was succesfull skating an Elk hair caddis just before we went in.

Kids and shad are a great combo!!!!!
    Good stuff!!!!

Thumbs up

Two thumbs up all the way around! Perfect. Just perfect.
    Cheers, Ken
    PS: Kurt are you a Falconer?
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

That post put a smile on My Face..... Thanks Frank

That 1st picure is sooo cute. What a sweetie! It just doesn't get any better than that. Very cool she outfished dad on her 1st day out but don't be surprised if it continues.

Charlie, you clearly engineered and persisted in providing a very special day for these folks and I can't tell you how impressed I am.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Smile

Kurt are you a Falconer?
    Ken,
    Yes, I've been a falconer since I could get my license at age 16. That's over 3 decades ago now, and still gives me a thrill. I've got 3 kids under 11 now, so a little too busy to do it full tilt, but my wife and I (Married a fine lady who got into the sport as much as I, how lucky am I?) now share one hawk. It's about the only way we can give the bird the flying time it needs. The peregrine in my avatar was one that was found injured, the vet fixed it's wing and then I had it for about 3 months on a rehab permit, getting it back in shape so it would be strong enough to hunt on its own again. Released him a few weeks ago, fat and flying strong...see ya, Perry.

Charlie,
    That was a great day, man. I won't forget it, ever. Don't neglect to e-mail me your address, Maggie keeps asking me for it so she can send you an invitation to her birthday party.

Kurt I worked with a few birds (many years ago). We had them for educational purposes in programs for the K-12 school system. I've always wanted to take the next step. Please check your PM.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!