Thread: 1st striper on fly

Default 1st striper on fly

After 35 years of chasing stripers on bait, 3 years ago I get a new nieghbor, Tony Buzolich. Tony's passion for big water fly fishing quickly rubbed off on me. Now with several trips to Mexico, Florida, San Diego, along with many trips to the delta I am an addict. Worse yet, the Sacramento River is only 20 minutes from my house. I am now a fly fishing junky with an empty bank account who spends his days planning the next adventure and looking for the next rod or reel I can't live without.

After 6 years of being neck deep with my son Kyle and Little League baseball, we have traded in his glove for a fly rod. On May 21st, me and Kyle headed over to the Sacramento River for his 1st attempt at a striper on fly. I put him on a 7wt because anything larger is a struggle. Setting the boat on top of rock wall, his 1st 4 casts were dismal at best. After a little coaching from dad Kyle dropped the clouser a foot off of the wall with his next cast. After a couple of short strips his rod bent slowly over. Thinking he was hung up I took the rod from him. I started up the motor to head upstream and try and retreive the fly. I then saw the line going towards the center of the river at warp speed. I quickly gave Kyle the rod back and the fight was on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After about 15 minutes we netted a nice 13 pound male. After some quick pictures he slid the fish back into the water (under protest because fried striper is his favorite meal). Unfortunately, soon after my trolling motor batteries died, ending the day. Within an hour my cell phone was also dead, a proud dad calling everone he new (of course Tony 1st) bragging about Kyle's catch.

Tieing a few clousers for the day------------------------------------$7

2 new trolling motor batteries--------------------------------------$330

A 7wt with reel and line--------------------------------------------$700

Helping my son catch his 1st striper on a fly------------PRICELESS!!!!

Tony has become my closest friend and fishing buddy. He is the kind of guy who would give not only the shirt of of his back but the one's in his closet also. Thanks buddy.

Bill Siler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kyle%205-21-09%204%20upload[1].jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	446  
    Last edited by Loomis 1; 05-27-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Thumbs up Striperzzzzzz.....

You're lucky to have two fishin' buddies (Your son and Tony). Congrats on your sons first.

Tony really is one of the great guys you'll meet. He and his wife are a lot of fun on those Baja trips. She catches as many "grandes" as he does....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Absolutely phenomenal! I think if you reported a shaker I would have the same emotional reaction to your report. But the big 1st fish makes it beyond special and a moment your son will never forget... never. And I never get tired of this kind of post.

A passionate new hobby, making new friends, exploring new places, fishing new water, time with son... WOW! Thanks for sharing. Ron
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

Dito,Dito,Dito, One of the best blessings God gives us is times like this with our family and freinds, look like your blessed with both. Way cool!!!!!
    "addicted to bent rods"

Is it me or isn't the cork part supposed to be in the mouth?? I think that's the second pic I've seen with someone with the graphite part in their mouth.... just seems to me that that wouldn't be the best thing to do to a rod.... If I lent a rod out and it came back with teeth marks I wouldn't be mad but I'd be like WTF... come on man, bite the cork next time....

Anyways, nice fish and gratz to your son.
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Those memories are not only priceless but timeless and will stay with you for lifetime.

Super good stuff.......Tony rocks.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, welcome aboard and awesome 1st post! It just doesn't get any better than getting your son on his 1st big anything. Congratulations to you both!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.