Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brook Trout dedication thread

Talking Brook Trout dedication thread

I know some people look down on this species. Some have even called Brookies the catfish of the Trout species. However, I love trying to catch them. Every time I hook into one, I have a good fight. Sorta like a Smallmouth Bass. Now, I want to dedicate this thread on the topic...Brook Trout. First of all, the myth that this breed lives at lakes and streams above 4000 feet here in Cali. I can't seem to find them, unless I am about 6000 feet. Another cool thing I just learned about brookies. 9 US states have selected the Brook Trout as the state fish. Let's discuss more please about this awesome speciem
    Last edited by robdog; 05-22-2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: needed to add a pict

I dont know anyone who looks down on them. They are pretty well addored here in OR. They are excellent fighters, take a fly readily, great eating, beautiful and abundabt in remote lakes and streams. They are actually not trout, they are char. Same family as mackinaw, dolly varden and arctic char.
    I love 'em!

I don't look down on 'em either. Along with the brown, they are the trout of the classic fly fishing literature of New England.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Get the Tar and Feathers men!!!!!!

The catfish of trout....them's fightin words.

Brookies are my all around favorite "Trout" to go after. My two most memorable fishing trips were catching them, and one of my favorite places in the Sierras is populated with nothing but them. I went so far as to have the ink work done to honor their place in my fishing life. http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15627

I hope that link works, first time I've tried to do that. I'm pretty sure Ed will chime in on this thread, maybe he'll be kind enough to repost the pic.

Due to time restraints I have to leave it at this for now. But, in the immortal words of the Cyberdyne Systems' model T101..."I'll be back".
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Thumbs up Brookies....

I think the reason that Brookies are not held in high esteem by some is that there're so many of 'em and stunted in places where they're overpopulated. But, azs the others have pointed out, their colors are absolutely beautiful at spawning time. they can grow quite large and will readily bite flies.

In the northeast of US and Canada, Brookies can be anadromous and then are called coasties. Joe Shirshac hosts a trip to Labrador each year for Brookies that grow in excess of 5 pounds and are so darkly colored by the habitat they live in, they're almost black. What a fish....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Many think of high elevation small streams with clean cold water when dreaming about the tiny precious Brook trout.

In lakes though they can get over 20 inches like in Kirman Lake, CA or Hosmer Lake in OR.

I did get to finally go to Labrador last July for the giant Brook trout at Cooper's Minipi Camps. They average over 4 pounds there and are caught up to 7 pounds weekly on dries?

http://www.anglingonthefly.com/CoopersMinipiCamps.html
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thumbs up A brookie lover

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Synhorst View Post
    The catfish of trout....them's fightin words.

Brookies are my all around favorite "Trout" to go after. My two most memorable fishing trips were catching them, and one of my favorite places in the Sierras is populated with nothing but them. I went so far as to have the ink work done to honor their place in my fishing life. http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15627

I hope that link works, first time I've tried to do that. I'm pretty sure Ed will chime in on this thread, maybe he'll be kind enough to repost the pic.

Due to time restraints I have to leave it at this for now. But, in the immortal words of the Cyberdyne Systems' model T101..."I'll be back".
    Nice Tat

I love brookies! I spent every weekend for 5 summers camping in an alpine valley fishing in the morning, snowboarding mid-day and fishing the evening bite. They will take dries with gusto and are tasty to eat.

Default Yeah...Brookies pretty much suck!

They live in very ugly places...
    They won't take a fly...
    They never reach a respectable size...

I grew up catchin' em in the mountains of WV where I caught my first fish on the fly because of them 30 years ago. They are native to the Appalachians and were transplanted to the high Sierra years ago. I have caught my share of them in high mountain lakes but they are stunted due to their hardiness and reproductive capacities in harsh conditions.

Until I listened to Joe Shirshac and fished for them in Labrador, I never knew the true magic of brook trout...please see pix.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0443.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Mouse.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carnazzo Green Drake.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Seven Pounds Dimensions.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	433  
    Last edited by Don Powell; 05-22-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Thumbs up I love Brookies

Nothin' like gettin' up in the mornin' and catchin' a few Brook Trout!
    Best breakfast there is!!

Last edited by Mike McKenzie; 05-25-2009 at 10:40 AM.