Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rivers of a Lost Coast Swap?

Jim, no problem.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Question Expanded Swaps....

Actually,.... considering how much trouble it is for participants to make the deadlines (based on past history), expanding the number of patterns to be contributed will undoubtedly compound that problem. On that basis, I vote to allow each to contribute a minimum of one pattern and any more voluntarily.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, I agree completely. I've seen deadlines that ended up being moving targets as well.

As an aside: any bonus patterns tied, or any extras that are going to be used for any donation or gift, is purely voluntary. I hope no one felt roped into something they never signed up for. Sorry I didn't make that the understanding earlier on.

Swaps are supposed to be fun. Signing up, or being signed up, for something that turns it into a bummer is no good, or even fair for that matter.
    Last edited by jim p; 05-21-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Here's where we are to date:

Jim P. – Fall Favorite and Thor
    Hairstacker – Skunk
    David Lee – Mossback
    Darian – TBD
    Xnjb707X – Brindle Bug
    slage – Burlap
    Mike R. – TBD
    Terry Thomas – Gualala Chicken Wing
    Bruce Slightom – Orleans Barber and Silver Hilton

We have 9 tyers with room for up to 3 more. At this point everyone will need to tie at least 9 copies of the pattern(s) signed up for. This is going to be a quite a set of flies when it’s all said and done.

If you wish to tie an extra fly for the auction set just include it when you send the regular swap set.

I am trying to nail down a pattern but am coming up empty. I am lookingfor a good picture and recipe for a silver demon (Jim pray pattern) but can't seem to find one. Any thoughts? I have also thought about a Night Owl or a Railbird.

I guess my fall back would be a comet but I really enjoy tying winged patterns more.

Mike

Thumbs up Classic Steelhead Patterns....

This probably won't help you much but all of the patterns you've asked about were pictured and described in a book titled: FLY-TYING by William Bayard Sturgis. It was written in 1940. So, it's as old as I am. Published thru Charles Scribner's Sons (not sure they're still around). You could try some antique or rare book dealers for a copy. This book contains descriptions of these patterns in feather wing design. Of course, you could easily substitute hair or fur and be within acceptable limits....

I'll send you a PM with whatever I can copy and include the pattern recipes.... This may take a bit of time as I'm preparing for a trip to Baja next week. So, please bear with me....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

there are a couple patterns that were also popular on the north coast rivers. They are the gold and silver comet. I'd get in but I don't think I'd have them in time. 4 more weeks in baja and counting

Jay

Mike,
    From Terry Hellekson's book:
    Silver Doctor

Hook
    : E.C. 1197N sizes 2-8
    Thread: Black
    Tail: Orange hackle fibers
    Body: Oval silver tinsel. Wrap an underbody of white floss to give the body a full taper. Wrap the tinsel under the tail for a tip before wrapping the body.
    Tail: Gray squirrel tail
    Terry

Ok this sounds good. Im in. Was reading through and was thinking comets and noticed a couple mentions of them. Since Jay has his hands full!!!!! in Baja!!!! and MikeR already called dibs on a comet as a possible backup, Ill do a Boss. Kevin

Oh yeah. Im good with tying extras for raffles and Kienes or whatnot. A couple two or three extra is no problem for me. If its decided to do a couple of sets for this purpose Id be glad to tie up a couple of complete sets of comet fly variations listed in Trey Combs Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies as well as the bosses for the swap. Kevin