Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rivers of a Lost Coast Swap?

Default Rivers of a Lost Coast Swap?

Hope I’m not out of line here, but how about sometime before the middle of summer someone host a “Rivers of a Lost Coast Swap?” Everyone tie up a North Coast steelhead pattern from tiers such as Lloyd Silvius, Jim Pray, Jack Horner, and so on... Maybe trying to keep it as close to the original or common tye as best as possible.

Being an infrequent poster and rather new member I thought it improper to offer to host the swap myself. I will however, gladly help whoever wishes to host.

Thought it would be great to put together a collection of these flies. Maybe give one to Bill to put up in Kiene’s? Any interest or thoughts?

P.S. I will probably host a similar swap on another site even if this one goes. Want to spread the story around. But giving the closeness to the history and it being in our own backyard I thought this would be the place.

UPDATED INFO :
    Allrighty, we have a swap. Due date July 17. There are ten tyers with a nice selection of old-time steelhead flies.

Everyone will need to tie a minimum of 10 flies of the pattern signed up with. That would give 9 to distribute to your fellow swappers and 1 for Kiene's. If you wish to tie one up for an auction set send it in with the rest.

9 - swappers
    1 - Kiene's
    1 - auction___(optional)
    11 total if all-in

Swappers, let me know when you’re ready and I’ll pm my mailing address. Please toe tag the flies and send them in a crush-proof container. Also include a self-addressed stamped envelope to return your set of swap flies in. Thanks for joining.

Jim P. – Fall Favorite and Thor (done and done)
    Hairstacker – Skunk, received
    David Lee – Mossback, drop
    Darian – Juicy Bug, , received
    Xnjb707X – Brindle Bug, received
    slage – Burlap, received
    Mike R. – Silver Demon, received
    Terry Thomas – Gualala Chicken Wing, address sent
    Bruce Slightom – Orleans Barber and Silver Hilton, received
    nrthcsteel – Boss, received
    Last edited by jim p; 07-19-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Update swap information

I'm always game for a swap on this board but I must fess up to some ignorance . . . I'm not terribly familiar with the flies that would comprise such a swap. Is there an online listing or reference of some sort that would identify the specific fly patterns that would fall into this category?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I could maybe post some pictures of the real deal. I have a few flies that Lloyd Silvius tied...Eel River optics, maybe a McReynolds, maybe some others. I also have a half dozen flies that Ben Anderson tied, who started flyfishing the Eel in 1911.....

Trey Combs has pictures in his steelhead flyfishing books with a lot of information as to who developed a lot of different fly patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by dpentoney View Post
    I could maybe post some pictures of the real deal.
    Now that is what I’m talking about. Thanks dpentoney, that would be incredible if you would.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    I'm always game for a swap on this board but I must fess up to some ignorance . . . I'm not terribly familiar with the flies that would comprise such a swap. Is there an online listing or reference of some sort that would identify the specific fly patterns that would fall into this category?
    Hairstacker, I’m in the same boat as you. Maybe I need a new hobby but with all the talk about the movie and the state of the fisheries here in California I’ve gotten pretty intrigued about North Coast steelheading and salmon fishing. There really isn’t an online listing that has been consolidated. The info is pretty spread out and limited. At least from what I’ve found so far.

I am by no means anywhere close to being knowledgeable or even a little informed when it comes to this arena. That would be the idea behind this swap, to learn a little something about some of the flies originating out of the North Coast and the people who tied them.

I am familiar with some of the patterns but it is very limited. You probably know some of the patterns as well. Here is a quick list of some flies I picked out of “Flies for Steelhead,” By Dick Stewart and Farrow Allen; Brindle Bug, Comet, Eel River Optic, Thor, Skunk, Horner Deer Hair Fly, and Horner's Shrimp.

The Horner shrimp is from Jack Horner, who is also the originator of the Humpy. Jim Pray originated the Thor and the Optic patterns, and Silvius did the Brindle Bug and the Comet. These are just to name a few tiers and a very small sampling of their flies. The origins of some of these flies will be the subject of debate. Heck, they were when they were originated, but that is part of it.

I don’t know, we’ll see where this goes. Besides you and I, there has been more interest in joining the swap if it flies (so to speak). It would be great to swap some of these flies and get some input from those who are “in-the-know” with respect to this history.

If you DO do the Swap ......

Put me down for a Mossback , #8 or #10 - killer , old timey Steelhead fly (Coastal , if you consider the Kalamath below Iron Gate a 'coastal' stream ....) .

You should Host , Jim .

David

Thumbs up Historic Coastal Flies

Hmmmm,.... I thought the McReynolds was a LLoyd Silvious pattern and Eel River Optics were Jim Prays patterns.... At any rate, this swap would be interesting. Count me in for a pattern to be determined....

The names of many of those tiers brings back some memories. There're quite s few that could be named in addition to those listed....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Great response so far.

David, I would be pleased to host the swap if acceptable to everyone.

Darian, thanks for the info on the Eel River Optics. That's what I thought the book said. Also, please share as much as you wish.

Xnjb707X pm'd me wanting to join with a Brindle Bug.

Hairstacker, I'll take the "always game for swap" as an I'm in.

What do you think the limit of swappers should be?

So far we have:
    Jim P. - TBD
    Hairstacker - TBD
    David Lee - Mossback
    Darian - TBD
    Xnjb707X - Brindle Bug

Ok, just to be clear, I'm in! If I may, I'd like to reserve "The Skunk" as the fly pattern I will tie, as it seems by a miracle of Providence, that this fly pattern was presciently named oh so many years ago not only for its appearance (i.e., white over black wing) but also potentially for the type of flies I may turn out in this swap.

Jim, by the way, I second David's notion that you host and thank you for being willing to do so.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Put me down for the Burlap.

The Golden Gate Park Casting Ponds Clubhouse has some of these original flies mounted inside if any of you are able to swing by and look at them....