Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really Good Bourbon ?

Default Really Good Bourbon ?

Seeings how this is an open discussion about fly fishing, I thought Ed, and some of you other connoisseurs of good bourbon out there might enlighten us as to your favorite label of choice.

A good friend of mine gave me a small pocket flask many years ago with a nicely engraved fish on the front that we would share after the taking of each fall or winter steelhead. With cold air and frigid streams a little inner warmth always helped liven the day.

Over the years I've evolved from putting various ports and brandy's to finally my favorite bourbon in this small flask. I've gone from the old Jim Beam to Jack Daniels to finally the Gentleman Jack, and I have no complaints about any of these.

But, it seems that you're always looking for something just a little bit better. (only for those cold mornings on the stream of course)

So, what's your favorite choice?
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I'm a fan of makers mark myself, very nice sippin stuff. Buddy does bring a flask of gentleman jack in his golf bag and it goes smooth as well.

As Ed mentioned in the other thread; Elijah Craig and Evan Williams are really good, smooth bourbons, be careful on the E.W. though, there are two kinds. One looks much like a J.D. bottle, and is low priced, I haven't tried it, but assume it's a lesser quality; the other is a clear bottle with a brownish label, very good.

The other, Elmer T. Lee(my favorite) is a bit more on the adventurous side. It's very good, and smooth for the most part. I say for the most part because it is a bit more "spicy" than any other I have tried.

All three of the above mentioned can be had for $20-$25 at Bev Mo. Of course there is always Woodford Reserve, I think LoganMike made mention of. That is another nice, smooth bourbon, but is usually priced around $30.

Unfortunately for me, prolonged imbibing in bourbon brings about a good case of heartburn. So I mainly stick with my single malt Scotch's, and occasionally dabble in bourbons now.

Basically I think that you'll find a good bourbon is much like a good Scotch. Made in "small batches", and aged for several years.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Default RGB

Knob Creek - as Colonel Potter said on MASH --- not enough "O's" in
    smooooooooooooooooooth to describe it!
    It just might be the solution to the current water problems.
    Larry S

Makers Mark is my everyday bourbon and entirely adequate for taking on any fishing trip known to man (or woman, my wife developed a taste for it this winter and the big jug bottles from Costco don't seem to last as long anymore!)

You can spend much more money, but I'm a really big fan of Woodford Reserve. It is soooo dang smooth it is silly! I typically have it on the rocks with a splash of water to help it open up a bit. If I'm cooking with bourbon I still with Jim Beam. JD has an edge to it that Jim Beam seems to lack.

If you are buying, I'll drink whatever is in the house!
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Tony, this is a very serious subject and requires much more in depth study and testing.

Name the time and place and we'll get started right away.

We've got a long row to hoe so's we better get started.

Ed

ps.... All of the suggestions so far are good ones.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Default Bourbon Guy

Being an everday man myself, that is a working man, I prefer the uncomplicated woodsy taste of your average bottle of Early Times. The price-point is great and the flavor it instills in my beverage od choice, coffee is outstanding. Very smooth, yet kind of bold. Fluid, yet a little bumpy if you get carried away. It's not fancy at all. but is definately my choice of distilled spirit.

Steve
    It's a Chromer!

Man, what a great thread! I've always been a JD man myself when it comes to bourbon, but it's nice to hear about others.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    Tony, this is a very serious subject and requires much more in depth study and testing.

Name the time and place and we'll get started right away.

We've got a long row to hoe so's we better get started.

Ed

ps.... All of the suggestions so far are good ones.
    So the question remains... what is yours?
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Old friendsl who have sense passed away, Ema and Bob Patterson of West Sacramento, had a nice cabin in Dunsmuir in Shasta Retreat (Yolo) that they let us use once many years ago for a summer getaway.

The last day we really cleaned the place up and went down to the local market to get a bottle of something to leave with a note of thanks. The folks at the store knew the Patterson's well and even knew that they like 'Early Times' which we bought and left with the note.

They went up there in a few weeks and were a little hesitant to see what condition we left it in but after seeing how clean we left it and the bottle of their favorite whisky they said we could use it anytime.

I don't drink much so I am not an expert here.

I use to drink '7 & 7' until I was in Alaska once and now I switched to 'Tagera & Tonic'.

Watch drinking & driving or drinking around water.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........