Thread: Truckee ?

Default Truckee ?

Has anyone had a look at the Truckee in the last couple days? I was up there last weekend but it was blown. Wondering if its cleared up?

Over the years many hit the Truckee starting in mid-June for some good action.

When the water hit ~56 degrees up there it gets really good.

If you can only go a few times a summer trout fishing you need to go at prime time.

If you go up there dozens of time well it doesn't really matter when you go.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

OK, here is my old story I told for years about prime time for trout in Nor Cal:

People will go on the opener of trout season because it is a tradition but 90% of the water is too cold and too high. On the opener there are some low elevation streams some lakes and some spring creeks that can be good but for the most part people don't do well on that weekend but its fun to go anyway.

Then these same people go back again on the family week long vacation in August to get out of the heat in the valley with the wife and kids. They get up and have breakfast and then go off and fish all through the day with not much luck in the August heat and then go back to the camp for dinner when it might be good fishing at sunset.

So they went too early in the spring with high cold water and didn't do well. And then they went in August to the same place that is not going to fish too well then either.

These people have no idea how good the fishing was there in June/July when they should have gone and if they had a guide one day they might have really hammered them.

For all of you who fish over 100 days a year you already know this stuff.

I am actually trying to get more new people to get up to the mid-elevation trout streams in June/July so they will have a chance to see what Nor Cal has to offer.

Naturally fall is good too, October!!!!!

I like the Upper Sac, Pit, McCloud, Fall River and Hat Creek in June. I think July on the Truckee is good.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The Truckee is still high and off colored. It's over 500cfs in town and over 1000cfs down here in Hirschdale. It looks like a cup of coffee with lots of creamer in it, about two to three feet of vis. If it freezes at night it might stop some snowmelt. You might want to try up along 89 above Donner Creek it is fishable right now. Be extremely carefull wading...the river is pumping pretty good.

www.gilligansguideservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
    It looks like a cup of coffee with lots of creamer in it, about two to three feet of vis.
    Thanks! I'll cross it off the list of choices for this weekend.