Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ultimate trout subsurface fly collection

Its a good thing you mentioned TROUT or David Lee would have had the Dhalberg diver (6/0) on the top of that list.

Top 10
    1 birds nest# 14
    2 gold rib hares ear #14
    3 wooly bugger #8
    4 20 min stone #8
    5 adams soft hackle #12
    6 hunchback #16 any color
    7 beadhead fox's poopa #14
    8 micro may fly #18
    9 hunchback drake #12
    10 fuller lake special #12
    Last edited by 590Mike; 05-05-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling ?
    I swear I'll be home by noon this time!!

Quote Originally Posted by 590Mike View Post
    Its a good thing you mentioned TROUT or David Lee would have had the Dhalberg diver (6/0) on the top of that list.
    Mike -

Not a 6/0 ...... a #10 stinger hook , the length of your little finger .

You would crap your waders if you saw some of the Trout I've raised with that fly ! Think Gold #2 Mepps , or a 1/4 Oz. Panther Martin ..... the Dahlberg works better .

David

Mepps and Panther Martin ?Why not add Kastmaster 1/4 oz and a big fat rapalla? No wait !! The t-3 flatfish and a rooster tail dropper ! Ah memory lane
    Any whooose I figured that dahlberg diver would get your attention.

Mepps and Panther Martin ?Why not add Kastmaster 1/4 oz and a big fat rapalla? No wait !! The t-3 flatfish and a rooster tail dropper ! Ah memory lane
    Any whooose I figured that dahlberg diver would get your attention.
    Memory lane?

Don't forget the Bomber 301 and waterdogs, Shysters, and Creme purple worms for bass; Daredevil spoons for northern pike. And, actually, I always thought the smaller Kastmasters were much better for trout.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker View Post
    Memory lane?

Don't forget the Bomber 301 and waterdogs, Shysters, and Creme purple worms for bass; Daredevil spoons for northern pike. And, actually, I always thought the smaller Kastmasters were much better for trout.
    I know you love top-water so don't forget Jitterbugs & Hula Poppers. Also for all you trout guys, do you remember the Super Duper ?

Tony P

Default The Old Days

This thread has taken an odd but fond and funny turn.

In the days before I learned to fly fish, and the first couple of years of questionable confidence, the Crippler was a go to lure. It was pretty much a no fail up at Silver and Caples.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Top 10
    1 birds nest# 14
    2 gold rib hares ear #14
    3 wooly bugger #8
    4 20 min stone #8
    5 adams soft hackle #12
    6 hunchback #16 any color
    7 beadhead fox's poopa #14
    8 micro may fly #18
    9 hunchback drake #12
    10 fuller lake special #12
    Being as how I fish Fuller so much, can you elaborate on the "special"?

_SHig

[QUOTE=Tony P;60844]I know you love top-water so don't forget Jitterbugs & Hula Poppers. Also for all you trout guys, do you remember the Super Duper ?

Holy mackerel I forgot all about the super-duper it was a dandy, back in the day they sold for what $.89 to $1.19? But the hula popper and Jitterbug were big hits also. My dad was a big Mepps and Rooster tail guy. We probabally should quit talking like this we might be sending Bill in to a state of nostalgia.

Shig.. here the Fuller special,just don't tell anyone.
    Its basically a #12
    sparce marabou tail with the ends of the marbou pulled over for a shellback
    the body is olive dubbing and a grizzly hackle. This is a used fly as I can't find the ones I tied a while back. I tie some in black also but can't find them. It must be time to clean the tying area. Andy Burk showed me a neat way to make it a dragon bugger with a little deer hair, but I haven't sat down to try it yet.

Oh boy daredevil spoons for steelhead and lake trout. We might as well bring up lunch while fishing... saltine crackers, vienna sausage and grape soda.

[QUOTE=590Mike;60983]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
    I know you love top-water so don't forget Jitterbugs & Hula Poppers. Also for all you trout guys, do you remember the Super Duper ?

Holy mackerel I forgot all about the super-duper it was a dandy, back in the day they sold for what $.89 to $1.19? But the hula popper and Jitterbug were big hits also. My dad was a big Mepps and Rooster tail guy. We probabally should quit talking like this we might be sending Bill in to a state of nostalgia.

Shig.. here the Fuller special,just don't tell anyone.
    Its basically a #12
    sparce marabou tail with the ends of the marbou pulled over for a shellback
    the body is olive dubbing and a grizzly hackle. This is a used fly as I can't find the ones I tied a while back. I tie some in black also but can't find them. It must be time to clean the tying area. Andy Burk showed me a neat way to make it a dragon bugger with a little deer hair, but I haven't sat down to try it yet.

What size tippet do I use for that little tag end on the eye? And does it have to point forward or can it point towards the back to help with the aerodynamics?
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>