Thread: lower yuba report 4-27-09

Smile lower yuba report 4-27-09

just returned from the lower yuba above the highway 20 bridge, water was gin clear, really beautiful, considered staying home due to breezy conditions (im a baby), but figured that would be a lame mistake. on the river at 10 am, nothing much going on, nymphed for about 1.5 hrs and then considered a nap. then all of a sudden the water was boiling, caddis, pmd's, march browns, i even saw some little yellow sallys. wind made it challenging, but brought 2 18 inchers to hand, one of the better hatches i have seen on the yuba of late, lasted strong till about 1:30 then tailed off for the next hour, all in all a great day
    hey, careful man, there's a beverage here

Medfly,
    I agree, the Yuba is a wonderful place to be, especially this time of year. A buddy and I went last Friday, kind of windy and rained early on, but hills were green and lots of flowers. Had one solid grab on a nymph in the morning, but snapped the 5X tippet on the take (when will I learn?). We had a pretty good hour and a half of rising fish in the early afternoon (PMDs, some March Browns, saw one little yellow stone). I worked several risers, but it was smooth water and that always gives me trouble on the Yuba...fish are too smart. I did get two hits, but after so many fruitless drifts that I really couldn't believe it and missed both fish. The hatch faded off, and we took a nap in the sun, jolted awake by a ground-jarring blast at the gravel pit--kind of wild. Poppies really came out in the afternoon, lots of lupine and other wildflowers I can't name.
    All in all, a good day.
    Took my new camera (b-day gift from my wife), but this is the only shot I took....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YubaPoppy.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	357