Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yuba River Gunpoint Robbery

Default Yuba River Gunpoint Robbery

Anybody hear about this? I just heard somebody was robbed at gunpoint.

Default doesn't surprise me...

there are a lot of crankster around that area. Thats why I also carry my .45 when I'm fishing.

Was there all weekend and didn't hear anything. Interested though.

i had an experience by myself on the feather on sunday evening on the way home from the yuba. . two guys shirtless parollee dirtbags covered in really bad tattoos started walking toward me with two beer bottles in each of their hands(down by culvert hole) they were still walking toward me so i hurried into my 4runner, mobbed over a rock pile and was waved off by beer bottles being thrown at me. I can't wait until I can get my CCW...
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

I heard the guy was fishing. Turned around to be greeted by a gun and a request for his wallet and truck keys. The Robber emptied the truck and left the keys on the ground. That's all I know.

I hear you can carry a gun on the BLM Land around the Yuba. I wouldnt think that means you can carry a concealed weapon. My answer is to just fish somewhere else. But, is it true you can carry an unconcealed weapon on the BLM land around the Lower Yuba around HWY 20?

Thanks for the update. It's a sad state of affairs when you have to pack heat just to go fishing. Unreal. I am glad no one was hurt - gear and cars can be replaced. Stay safe everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post
    I heard the guy was fishing. Turned around to be greeted by a gun and a request for his wallet and truck keys. The Robber emptied the truck and left the keys on the ground. That's all I know.

I hear you can carry a gun on the BLM Land around the Yuba. I wouldn't think that means you can carry a concealed weapon. My answer is to just fish somewhere else. But, is it true you can carry an unconcealed weapon on the BLM land around the Lower Yuba around HWY 20?
    Technically you can carry a gun while walking down the street, it just needs to be in plain view and it needs to be a legal registered firearm. Once it is concealed in any way then it becomes illegal. Now for the reality of it all, if a police office sees you, do expect to be stopped and questioned. Do expect to be treated in a some what hostile way until the officer finds out you are a good citizen and are doing everything by the law.

Also I was always told that if you decide to carry a gun for protection you better be ready to use it and not have any second thoughts on taking a life. If the person on the other end of the barrel is a "bad" person and you draw a gun on them, you better be ready to use it and you better be ready for alot of legal issues. I personally feel it is better to just give them your wallet or whatever. Using a gun can and will change your life forever.

And for the record I do own firearms, as a matter of fact I have an 750 pound safe, so I am not against forearms, but I do know what can and will happen if they are used for either protection or not.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by wjorg View Post

I hear you can carry a gun on the BLM Land around the Yuba. I wouldnt think that means you can carry a concealed weapon. My answer is to just fish somewhere else. But, is it true you can carry an unconcealed weapon on the BLM land around the Lower Yuba around HWY 20?
    Golly.....this is sad, assuming it's true. Where did you hear this? There doesn't seem to be any news reports about it. (at least that I can find)

I fish there a lot and would love to know where on the river this happened. There are some rather sketchy looking folks down there, always have been. In fact, about 15 years ago, I had a large knife flashed at me when, in my infinite wisdom, I decided to confront a few guys netting salmon - just upstream from the bridge.

Gotta be careful out there....

There's been much worse, recently:

I never carry a wallet fishing - and - if you think giving up valuables is a way to avoid injury/death - you have another think coming. Get away from anyone (or two or three) who approaches you (especially in groups) without a fishing rod or cooler or some other indication that they belong. If you can't get away, be prepared to defend yourself; or else, suffer the consequences, e.g.,

http://www.theunion.com/article/2009...ntProfile=1053

You won't have much time for discussion.

Question Escalation....

Uhhhh..... Lets get this under control before there's any additional escalation. There's no proof supporting anything other than suicide in the linked article. I agree that we all must be alert to anything happening around us that may present a threat. That's common sense. I'm fully in support of the conclusions in Scott's post.

If it looks like you're wandering into a place where you shouldn't be, leave. If confronted and you have to give up your personal belongings, do it and get out of there. Try to be observant; get a good description and make a report to the police.

Actually, you're more likely to be held up or shot in any blighted or downtown area of any city in this state than while out fishing....

It seems to me that confronting a poacher or team of them in rural areas is asking for trouble. Just try to have the act witnessed, get a photo or some facts to report (maybe a vehicle license....)
    Last edited by Darian; 04-21-2009 at 04:48 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown