Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need some help on setting up a shooting head

Default need some help on setting up a shooting head

I need some info on how to set up a shooting head for a fast action 9wt rod for stripers...sinking.....or....floating......I'm looking at rio as for now but anything else will do......can any one help? Thanks....

A 350 GR SA streamer express would be pretty sweet. I like the integrated lines much better than the shooting head/running line systems.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...reamerExpress/
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

Rio outbounds are good. I use one for my floater. They cost more but cast nice, no knots. Even though they say they are uplined I would go one up anyway. I'm still old school on the sinker. 27' of LC13 attached to Airflow Polyshoot XT intermediate running line. They don't make the polyshoot anymore so I would go with the Rio intermediate running line, an .035 I believe, the non tropical one. On a fast 9wt I would start at 30' of the LC13 and cut down as needed. Alot of the guys are using the T14 shooting head, haven't tried it yet.
    Doublehaulin' for Stripers

For fishing Striper top water on a fast 9 weight Charlie Bisharat uses a new WF10F Cold-water Outbound Short. This really throws those big wind resistant top water poppers/flies.

On a 9 weight rod I believe Mike Costello is using the new Rio WF9I Cold-water Outbound Short in the Delta for slower sinking situations.

I think a Rio Outbound Custom Cut T-14 would be good for the fast sinking. I would check with Andy Guibord at the shop about how much to cut off.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thumbs up Shootin' Heads

Kingfisher,.... Setting up a head system is relatively easy. You can choose to use various sink rate running lines (mono or other) and attach any head (floating, intermediate or sinking) using loop to loop connectors.

This way, you can have any sink rate at hand, if conditions dictate a change, without carrying extra spools.

LC-13 was mentioned earlier as a choice for use. While not a bad choice it's certainly not as easy to cast as T-11, t-14, etc.

Shooting head systems are cheaper than building a collection of full length fly lines.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Great advice bill
    I'm "on line" with the first two choices
    about the third tho
    I fish a lot and were out, tear up a lot of heads. I get hung up on rocks and trees and I have an evil trolling motor with a knife blade on it for cutting heavy weeds in the delta witch will slice any line in a bunch of one foot pieces in seconds............
    I can replace a head for $15 and a new full line is $60-75
    I use the Air-flo intermediate running/shooting (same thing) line
    and put T-14 heads of 29-33 feet on them depending on the wind and type of fly I am using
    ????for Double Haul and or Bill????
    they don't make the Air-Flow running line any more?????
    Black box blue writing????
    if so dose any one know where I could find some??????
    I have not been fond of the running/shooting lines that Rio has put on the market as of yet and I have tried a bunch.........
    Paul....
    Tight lines to all
    And, to all a good Fight!!!!!

The Airflo Intermediate running in blue is the shops favorite and I did forget to mention that lots of people actually use that with ~30' of T-14 on a 9 weight.

Thanks Paul.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

i believe Anderson rods is designing a running line mostly for spey dudes, but my girlfriends dad got sent one of their running lines to demo it, and it was by far the best running line I've ever fished with.
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

Double Haul said
    "27' of LC13 attached to Airflow Polyshoot XT intermediate running line. They don't make the polyshoot anymore "

I was wondering if that is trure???and is that the same line you have in the shop????

Paul...
    Paul....
    Tight lines to all
    And, to all a good Fight!!!!!

The polyshoot XT was replaced with their "ridge" running line. Those that I know that have used it don't like it and have had some cracking problems. The Rio running line that is a transluient blue is most likely the next best choice. Can't remember what it is called. I don't even see it on their website.

If anyone knows where to get polyshoot XT let me know!
    Doublehaulin' for Stripers