Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shad flies

Default shad flies

post'em if you got'em now dont be shy!!! these are just a few of what i use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2143.JPG 
Views:	1653 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	308  

agreed! i like the synthetics betterseems to stay cleaner longer,than like chennile..just sharing.. come on guys post some pics

Default First Shad Ties

The latest shad fishing threads got me pumped up to tie a few flies for the upcoming run on the Russian. Here are a few of my first attempts. I didn't have much in the way of materials on-hand, but I found a few things that might work. I had heck of time getting tight wraps on the two amnesia bodied flies. Is there any particular technique that helps get tighter wraps? I only had 20lb test so it may have been a little heavy.

Gob.,
    Tie in all your materials at the eyes and tie them back to the bend, where appropriate. This will help you to achieve a flat smooth "under-body" and makes whatever material you use on top of that easier to apply well.
    ....lee s.

Thumbs up Mono Body Materials

Hey Gob,.... Nice looking flies. I've had some luck wrapping uniform bodies using Sunset Amnesia, 30 pound test, by placing the material in some hot water for a short period before tying it in. That seems to soften it up and makes it easier to wrap.

I'm fairly sure that it doesn't make any difference to the Shad whether the wrap is perfect, tho....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Shad Flies

Thanks for comments on the flies. I will definitely start tying the materials behind the bead-eyes. I have been starting with the eyes, wrapping back, then tying the all the materials forward from the bend. I also like the idea of softening the amnesia line with warm water, good tip.

As Carl pointed out I have a tendency to crowd the hook eye. Should I be placing the eyes further back on the shank or is it more of an issue with putting in to many wraps to tie off? I usually put in three to four base wraps at the eye followed with a five wrap whip finish. I suspect I put in to many wraps since my trout, Steelhead, and bass ties always end up with a big gob of thread at the hook eye.

One of the biggest things I learned about shad fishing last year from Jeff C., was if you are not at the right depth you won't catch anything no matter what you have tied on. I was amazed how we would be throwing the same fly into the same pool on the same line but since he had a heavier shooting head then what I was throwing, he was catching and I was watching.

Carl, nice looking shad flies, but then I would not expect anything less than real nice flies tied by yourself.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default Shad Flies

Carl,

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think of finishing the fly behind the optics. I am really new to tying so I am still learning how to layer in materials and where to start and finish flies. This is good info.

I have been using single-strand unwaxed floss since it seems to lay out fairly flat and has good strength. I thought of using Kevlar thread, but the Pro Shop only had it in a light orange color. I agree with your observation regarding cactus chenille. The pink chenille I was using kept shedding as I wrapped it forward. The orange hackle I used is estaz chenille which seems way more durable.

I admit I am afflicted with perfectionist tendencies that drive me fret over the appearance of my flies. However, I still fish the crappy flies I make up. You should see my trout ties, they redefine defective. Nonetheless, they look buggy and when I find the right spot I can get a few takers. I am sure the appearance and durability of my flies will improve over time as I learn more from experienced fly tiers like you.

I was just at the Pro Shop in R.P. a few weeks back buying some materials for bass flies. I didn't realize the Pro Shop's fly selection includes hand-ties by local anglers. I thought the entire stock came from over-seas tying factories. I will have to grab a few of your flies next time I head north.

OK, time for me to wade into this discussion on shad flies. Before the shad season started last year I tied a bunch of flies on sz 6 Mustad 3908C's. Guess what happened, the shad were going for smaller sized flies. This year I've tied up a bunch of Bloody Marias on sz 10 scud hoods and some sz 8 Surf Candies and Wet Pinkies. I just got a Winston BIIX 7 wt switch rod that I picked up from George Revel. I going to pair it up with a short Skagit plus tips for spey casting and shooting heads for overhead casting. The shad will be here SOON!!!

Jeff, near as I can tell, you're the most avid shad fisherman on this board -- with the new rod and all, I hope you get into them big time this year!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.