Thread: Smith River?

Default Smith River?

What is the fishing like on the Smith River these days. I used to hear about it all the time... now not so much. What gives?
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Fats View Post
    What is the fishing like on the Smith River these days. I used to hear about it all the time... now not so much. What gives?
    I heard from somebody in CC that the H20 level was low. That was about it. Also that this was a slow season for steelies.

Hopefully the allowing of keeping wild steelhead will come to an end on the Smith or else expect to hear less and less and less about the Smith in the future...................

It's closed for the season.

Default Sad Season on the Smith

Fats:
    I took two long weekend trips to the Smith this season and from what I heard from locals was lucky to see a fish. The river had very fishable conditions a number of days this season but very few fish in the system. This is the second season in a row with poor returns. No one I spoke to seemed to know why but it certainly does not help that the fish run one of the grimmest gauntlets imaginable with an enormous flotilla of anglers fishing roe and allowed to keep wild steelhead. Hopefully we'll see better returns next season and this isn't the beginning of the end for another of our sacred steelhead streams.
    Last edited by Craig Nielsen; 04-04-2009 at 09:33 PM.

I followed the smith river report page all season and it was grim. While the allowance of killing native fish is a shame and should be curtailed, its hardly the reason for the slim returns. Theyve been whacking wild fish on the Smith for years and have had some gigantic returns in spite. Theres other powers at work. The Rogue sucked this year too. I never even went out once. I havent even bought a license and tags yet for this year.

Default Slow!!

I fished the south fork a lot this winter about 3 to 4 days a week all winter just super slow. There was just nothing there. Caught a butt load of cuthroat's so was not a complete waste of time not a whole lot fun on a 8 wt swith . the main stem from the forks down is still open tell april 30 so the guides can target down runners. I still can't wait next year just not ready to hang up my gear. It's such nice river hope it gets back to normal some day catch a relese would be nice

Any summer runs or is it shut down?
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

The best fishing for steelhead on the Smith is January and February. The only streams with decent runs of summer steelhead in CA are the Eel and Trinity tribs (South Fork, Hayfork Creek, New River, you can only fish the mainstem though as they're coming through). Redwood creek has them but they are endangered and you should not fish for them. I have never heard of summer runs on the Smith.

Be very careful fishing the coastal streams on the spring and fall side of things. The seasons close and there are no-flow closures. Don't just trust the advice of the BB call DF&G. You can get a ticket fishing the wrong time of year or on the wrong stretch of river.

For my money the next best opportunity for summer run steelhead fishing on the calendar is (besides AK) at the beginning of July on the North Umpqua. Dry flies and shorts, in a gorgeous setting with aggressive fish, and dry lines. What's not to like about that? There are other other opportunities for earlier runs, like the Willamette fish outside of Eugene, and the North Santiam, but neither of those runs is up to the experience of the NU. To bad I'm expecting a baby August 4th and can't make it this year.
    Last edited by bigtj; 04-05-2009 at 12:24 PM.