Thread: The Wind's Not Blowing - Let's Go!

Default The Wind's Not Blowing - Let's Go!

After reading Tracy’s report this morning about fishing the Sac and the Tisdale boat ramp I got the “urge”. You know, the kind of feeling that says you’ve just got to go do something. And knowing that the spring run stripers are on their way and having not been out on the water for a couple of days,,,,,, you kind of get this urge.

Well, the boat is always ready to go but it’s getting kind of late. It’s already 8:15 AM and I just have to get out on the water. I decide to call my buddy Jim to see if he’d like to go for just a couple of hours. Jim’s already at work but what the heck, there’s always time for a little fishing.

We get on the water a little after 9:00AM and stop at one of our favorite spots along a certain rip-rap wall that we fish regularly. Lots of small wing dams just under the surface here for the fish to rest and ambush food as it drifts by.

We start marking quite a few fish. Many more than a week ago. Soon, Jim is hooked up with a nice striper of several pounds. ALL Right! No skunk on this boat and we’ve only been at it a few minutes.

As we drift on downstream we pass Shane Hardin returning home from an early morning jaunt and exchange hand signals about having an okey day.

We’re still marking a few fish here and there and continue on downstream hitting all of our regular spots, missing several grabs, listening to the peacocks, and just enjoying being outdoors.

Finally, I get a good grab and the fish heads out away from shore toward deep water. This is usually a sign of a bigger fish.

Two other boats slow in passing to watch the show and one immediately gets out a fly rod and starts casting. Yah!

Another nice keeper in the boat for each of us and we decide to call it a day.

On the way back we decide to stop at our first spot and see if there just might be one more hungry fish around. Jim hooks up again to another nice fish and we call it a day. Remember, we’ve only been out a couple of hours to check the conditions and Jim really does have to go back to work. Ughhh.

The water looks great with a nice green color and is running at 57 degrees. There aren’t LOTS of fish yet but they’re on their way and will be here in mass soon. All of the fish we took were males and all were spilling milt. These guys are ready for an orgy when those big females arrive.

Remember, turn those big fish loose quickly. Take a picture and let them go. Those bigger fish are almost always spawners carrying millions of eggs per season and without those big fish we’ll loose generations of stripers to come.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

That turned into a nice "couple of hours" for you guys. Great pics, thanks Tony.
    Stop! Who would cross the Bridge of Death, must answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see.

Default Hey!

Hey Tony, I'm glad I got you motivated to go out to the orgy! I hope those hens treat you real well this spring!

Thanks for the motivating update. I'll be out in two weeks... to get in on that orgy!

Tracy
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.