Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "New" Vise

Default "New" Vise

So I've been tying now for a few months, and got a bit of vise-envy since all I have is the el-cheapo $40 Cabela's special kit. Done me fine 'till now, but the mitten jaws and non-rotary nature were really starting to put me off.

Well, I couldn't justify shelling out $300 for a top-notch rotary, and JUST missed out on a $120 Renzetti Traveller, so I needed some gratification.

Hello, Ebay?

$59 shipped later here's my next disposable vise, though with some more nifty features than the India/Pakistan special that is now my backup:

Not a bad unit, and with a little reaming out, the post mount plate that came with the Cabela's one will now be used (as in the photo) instead of the c-clamp jobber that the Danvise came with.

The vise was used and had some jaw tip wear from when the joker who previously owned it sharpened them along with the hooks clamped within.

I guess once I man up and buy $700 rods instead of CL/Ebay/Denios specials, I'll get me a Dyna King or Renzetti.

'Till then, cheap still ties flies fine and catches fish!

_SHig

It looks like it will work... although I'm sorry you missed out on the Renzetti. You'd never have to replace that one!

Have fun whipping up the flies!
    Often wrong, seldom in doubt!

Talking geto fly tying

Quote Originally Posted by SHigSpeed View Post
    I guess once I man up and buy $700 rods instead of CL/Ebay/Denios specials, I'll get me a Dyna King or Renzetti.
    'Till then, cheap still ties flies fine and catches fish!
    _SHig
    I don't see nothing wrong w/ that. However I am sure you will be in Bill's crosshairs

I have that vice and love it. The Danvise is a lower priced unit but works great. What I need is the base you have, right now I have the original clamp base. On mine the jaws got tweaked a little from me tightening down on hooks to hard, but I called customer service and they sent me a new pair no questions asked.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I have been tying on a danvise for about 5 years after tying on a Thompson A vise for maybe 40. I started tying flies when I was a kid. Anyway, the danvise is a great vise and works well for me. It is a big step up from the old Thompson. I have considered a new fancy vise, but I don't need it. You might consider getting one of the danvise extension arms. I ordered mine directly from Al Beatty and I am not sure where else you can get one. It helps with long flies.

I've been looking at the extension adapter. How much was it and how do I get a hold of Al?

Thanks!

_SHig

Don't know, but you may be able to order the extension through Kiene's. If not here is a link to Al & Gretchen Beatty's fly shop there is an email link at the top right of the page as well as a phone number. There is also some literature on the Danvise on their web site.

SHigspeed, that's great, hope you're having fun with it. I bet that full rotary feature will make for some fun tying.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I love my danvise. I have several higher end vises but tend to use the danvise most of the time.

Here is a link to Al Beatty's website. http://www.btsflyfishing.com/