Thread: Oahu, Hawaii

Default Oahu, Hawaii

Is there any fly fishing oppurtunity's on this island. I just got offered to stay at a condo for free but would only go if I could hit some saltwater fly fishing. I've never fished the salt but I'm ready to give it a go. Thanks, John
    FollowTheFish

i know there is bonefishing in hawaii, but it is rare and I don't know what Island its on. My buddy was just there and he wasn't alowed to bring his fishing gear (Wife), and he said that there was guys catching jacks off the beach at his resort...
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

Default Oahu and bonefish

Aloha Johnny, there are big bonefish on Oahu. You should hire a guide for the day and he can show you the ropes. Try Louie the fish at www.louiethefish.com or try his phone, hm 808-739-5955 or cell 808-741-5622. Tell him I referred you. Louie is a great guy and fun to fish with. There are some other guides if you can't book with him. His son also is a good guide. I must warn you the fishing is challenging, but if you can cast 60 feet and can see 10lb fish in shallow water, then give it a try. There are a number of excellent spots and if the wind isn't too bad, and the tide is right you could have a great day. Bring an 8wt and get some tabis, felt souled reef slippers. Good luck, e-mail me if you need more help, Mems.
    Don Memmer

I just returned from Oahu. Look at http://www.coachduffshawaiianbonefishing.com/
    Coach Duff was great! He's located in Kailua, on the eastern coast.
    I managed to catch a Golden Trevally (8 lbs). Photo is posted in his gallery, third from the left, top row.
    I've posted some shots in my profile too.

I booked a trip with Nervous Waters on Oahu last year (do a google search). Nervous Waters has great pricing (ie half and full days), and the guide I had was great, very patient, knowledgable, and put me on some excellent water. We spotted several bones, bigger than I anticipated, but the heavy wind made casting a fly cleanly very difficult, and I consider myself a competent caster.