Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springtime At Last!!!!!

Thumbs up Springtime At Last!!!!!

It's here, it's here!

Well, almost.

I had the fever.

Had to get out and check on my ole pals, the Smallies.

Got to my favorite "brown line" about 9:30 this morning. I used the "Mike's Place" access.

Immediatley upon getting out of the truck I knew I was a bit early. That breeze was rather cool.
    Relax, I said to myself, it's been over 70 for days now. These fish are on.

Any fisherman who can't lie to himself on demand is no fisherman.

So I hit the water, wading wet. This spot demands way too many miles of walking to wear waders.

Upon entering the water my first thought was "hmm, maybe I've made a mistake". But I hung in and got used to it, almost.

I caught this little but very important first Bass of the year at my first hole.

After that fish I had to wade a bit deeper to keep going. Yep, had to go 'that' deep. Did I mention a cold wind was blowing?

So I start walking and prospecting my way upstream. I wanted to fish the hole above the truck.

I found out upon my arrival at the hole that I had pulled my first (of many I'm sure) boneheaded moves. I'd left my spools of leader material on the counter at home.
    So I fished the deep, deep, hole with a floating line and about a 4 ft long stub of leader. Nada. Gotta get deeper. So I did what any bonehead would do in such a situation. I started searching around for some discarded fishing line.
    Now, you've gotta remember, this is very early in the year. I couldn't find any wads of line on my side. Ordinarily, this is something to celebrate, but not today.
    I had to head downstream to a riffle, cross over, and walk back up to the hole on the other side. There's an easy access on that side. And, as most of you know, where there's easy access there's also litter. And Viola, there it was. A wad of old line of questionable breaking strength. Hah! Back in Business!

So I walked and waded back to my original spot, this time ready rake in those bad boys that live down in the tractor tires.

I'll just cut it short. It really is early and cold still. Here's my best pic from the Dam Hole.

At least it's proof that springs here.

It was one cold walk back downstream, then I had to cross at the same spot as before, yep, that deep again.

It just keeps gettng better from here.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Nice report and good looking fish Ed! Between you and your leader material and David and his fins, I hope you guys aren't starting some kind of trend . . . .

I imagine it will be pretty soon now. In any case, as someone once said, "Ya don't know, if ya don't go!"
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Thumbs up

You gotta love the first one of the year ..... !!

Too bad he wasn't 'all-striped-up' - LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL !!!!!

You sure do know that 'home pool' Ed . Strange , how many Bass are in there .....

David

Default thanks

Ed,

Thanks for sharing your trip. I really enjoyed it. Nice pics too.

Steve
    It's a Chromer!

Good going Ed, I am glad to see the bass are biting. Should only get better from here on out.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Phil wanted to feel a fish before he goes in for some shoulder work in a couple of weeks, so back to the creek we went.

Still tough fishing. Nothing showing in all the usual spots.

I believe this is the reason.

Looks like it's gonna be another couple of weeks before it starts really picking up.

We fished a ways upstream, and Phil came up with a very nice Squawfish.

Hey Bill, notice the hat?

I managed a few really small bass a little later, then we had to move due to the heavy off roader crowd that swept in on us.

Went in at a different spot farther down, no fishies there either.

But these were out.

Gotta be careful in the tall grass.
    This one was rather mellow, he moved off the path into the taller grass and flattened himself out. It would have just let us just walk on past, but, of course we couldn't just do that. When it figured out it was had it took this cool defensive posture and really let the rattle fly.

After our snake encounter we still had a quarter mile left to walk, most of it in ankle to knee deep grass. Paranoid would be an understatement.

No fish at the last spot either, but it was an excellent day to be out, and as usual there was plenty of wildlife to see.

Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    After our snake encounter we still had a quarter mile left to walk, most of it in ankle to knee deep grass. Paranoid would be an understatement.
    Ahhhhhh , yes . I know paranoia well !

I recall you had the good manners to NOT laugh at my childish fear of reptiles , you only stared at me in mild disbelief . Again ..... quite civil of you .

Welcome to my world - the one where the sight of a Snake (ANY Snake) makes your mouth go dry .

Just LOOKIN' at the picture gives me the willies ......

David

Hah, that last pic came out even more dramatic than I had hoped. I'm lovin my new camera. Trust me, I wasn't very close.

David, we all have our little idiosyn.....idiosi......our own little quirks.

I've never once seen yours stop you from fishing a spot.

You guys who have a phobia can relate, I'd see David come S-L-O-W-L-Y through some really "snakey" looking cover that I've just walked through, teeth clenched and white as a ghost, sweating up a storm, and oddly, not saying a word.

But he always got through.

You know all the good gags we pull on people who are afraid of snakes? You know the ones, the broken fan belts, pieces of garden hose, funny looking branches, pieces of rope? Well, I've never even considered pulling one on him. His phobia is for real. And after he woke up he'd probably flog me with my own rod. Then when the rod broke, jam the pieces somewhere they really don't belong.

My joke instinct gets overridden by my survival instinct.

Scotty and Phil, as you know by now, you're still fair game .

Ed

Funny thing you guys talking about snakes today, as I was looking over snake-proof boots in a catalogue last night. Was comparing the 15 and 16" models and wondering how practical they would be for fishing around creeks and streams . . . maybe practicality shouldn't be placed quite too high on the priority list.

So the creek's been a little slow . . . you think it has anything to do with water temps? I was scouting out the lower Tuolumne this morning and talked to a fella who fished it regularly and was having a very slow day. He told me it should really turn on for smallies when the water temps come up a bit.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Thumbs up

I'm currently looking for a Snake-proof jumpsuit .

Forgot to add .... GREAT photos , Ed !! Nice to see the West-side water warm enough to make babies/fry .

I might eventualy beat my fears . Perhaps the first step will be to quit watchin' " I was bitten " and " Heinous Snake Week "on the Bug channel . I do love those lovely California King Snakes , though ...... they're good ju-ju and I feel no abject terror around them . Sadly , the last one I saw in the wild was at Folsom Lake in the late-80's .

I miss them .

David