Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Used Vice

Default WTB: Used Vice

Hi All,

I'm just getting into tying flies and am looking for a used vice suitable for a beginner. If anyone has an old/extra rotary vice just collecting dust, please PM me with price, etc.

Thanks,

jcanger

the problem with used vices is that the jaws become weak after use. Make sure to test before you buy...
    Capt. Darrin Deel
    www.acflyfishing.com

I used to spin in circles while doing smack, but that was my only rotary "vice".

<LOL>

I right there with you though. I have a cheap Cabela's special vise that works fine, but isn't the best for the job.

Good luck, if anyone has one for me as well, pipe up!

_SHig

Default Regal vice -not a rotary

I have got a regal its barley used it has the c clamp I paid 125 for it I think ... would let it go for 75. It really is like brand new

the problem with used vices is that the jaws become weak after use. Make sure to test before you buy...
    That may be true of some of the cheap imports from India but this will generally not hold true for the premium brand name vises like HMH, Regal, Dynaking, etc. -- their jaws are intended to support a lifetime of use.

For example, that Regal Oldtroutbelly is selling will probably outlast all of us as long as you're careful to clamp hooks in it properly.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

When I started (long about '94 or thereabouts) I had a Thompson , the uber-cheap one below the A model....... I lost count of the # of flies I did on that one . Cost me $35.00 from the Bass Pond fly shop .....

It would have outlasted me had I not stupidly given it away .

The 'low end' gear from Thompson or Griffin will do ya well .

David

It would have outlasted me had I not stupidly given it away .
    Well, hopefully whoever you gave it to is still tying flies on it and putting it to good use. I have heard of folks who are still using their Thompsons after literally decades of use.
    -- Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldTroutbelly View Post
    I have got a regal its barley used it has the c clamp I paid 125 for it I think ... would let it go for 75. It really is like brand new
    If the Regal is a rotary and the OP doesn't buy it I may be interested.

_SHig

OldTroutBelly, thanks for the offer on the Regal vice. However, I am in the market for a rotary vice (not smack, SHigSpeed). But thanks again.

I think I am going to go with a Danvise. Looks like a sturdy (even if made of steel and plastic) entry-level model with most bells and whistles. Plus I found one on sale about $70. Does anyone have any experience and/or familiarity with the Danvise?

BTW, thanks others who jumped in on this thread - your comments/thoughts are very helpful. I appreciate it. Keep them coming!

jcanger, I recommend you check out the comments in this thread -- quite a few who've owned Danvises have piped in:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4319

My impression is that they may not last as long as many of the others. On the other hand, it's only $70. . . .
    -- Mike