Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ian Gordon & Hardy @Kiene's

Ian Gordon is a great two handed caster, famous Atlantic Salmon guide and a good instructor too. He has guided for over 20 years on the river Spey in Scotland so it was nice to chat with him back at the shop about his Atlantic Salmon fishing experiences.

He uses small #8 flies on double hooks for some of that fishing on the Spey. He likes floating lines and does add a Poly leader to get down some at times.

He is still guiding on the river so some of us might go our there to fish and golf with him.

Thanks for coming.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene View Post
    Ian Gordon is a great two handed caster, famous Atlantic Salmon guide and a good instructor too. He has guided for over 20 years on the river Spey in Scotland so it was nice to chat with him back at the shop about his Atlantic Salmon fishing experiences........ He is still guiding on the river so some of us might go our there to fish and golf with him.
    Interesting stuff there , Bill .......

I knew he was a champion caster , but didn't know the rest . I'm a little suprised as he seemed pretty 'normal' - I found Ian to be a nice guy and a keen bullshitter (the best qualities of Humanity , IMO .....) .

My idea of a Scottish Salmon guide ?? Some dude about 80 years old w/ no teeth , calling me 'Soooooir' and retching at the thought of my yankee arse throwing a #4 Olive Bugger on a sinking line at his fish .

Perhaps I need to expand my social circles ...... ?? Hmmmmmm .

David

Thumbs up Ian Gordon's excellent tip re keeping your line moving before your cast

Last week, I attended a great session with Ian Gordon hosted by Kiene's in Sacramento.

One of Ian's suggestions was to keep your line moving at all times before your cast.

This past week that hint worked well in salt water at San Luis Bay Beach.

There was wave action of about 2-3 feet with the wind in your face or swirling and the usual kelp floating under the surface.

I used my Z7110 with a Rio 600 grain Skagit to overcome the wind and waves with a 10' intermediate Versi leader, a couple of feet of tippet and a size 2 Clouser.

If I tried to set up my Skagit with a Perry Poke and the little pause, nature got the best of me and my casts were terrible if they even got off the water.

So I decided to try Ian's suggestion re keeping the line moving until I cast it even with a Skagit line.

Then, most of my casts worked and I was shooting 2-3 rod lengths of line with basically no effort with my moving Perry Poke.

The casts worked better with a floating 5' cheater. Usually I don't use a cheater with the Switch Rod.

Unconsciously, I had come to this "keep it moving and using a touch and go" with the AFS Heads last year. I will work on that when I go to the AFS heads, soon.

Thanks again to Kiene's for hosting Ian's great session.