Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's Spring Time

Ken,

That big smile keeps me going every day!

by the way...check your email...

Tony,

I know you and Jay were wing men...You remember Hog Island, San Luis Res, man-o-man (Ken Hanley Slang) I miss that time on the lake. It's never been the same since then, but things are changing finally and recovering for a new generation of Moe bass. It's amazing what a few newspaper reports can do to a fishery...from a half a dozen boats a day to over 150 boats...geeze....

Sage was a sleep in the parking lot...lol...Canyon was a sleep by the time we past the Ranger Station check out and hit the Dam...Next time I wont wake him up at 4:00 a.m. to head to the lake...He fished the entire day...so, I can't blame him one bit...

...and yes you need to get Jay (my fly tying hero / mentor) back out with you.

Steve Cali

Hey Steve,

I think about "Hog Island" at least once a week. I don't think we'll every see a fishing day like that again. I remember one morning when Tony and I headed for the island, right after he dropped the trolling motor in the water, his first cast - FISH ON. I made a cast right at the rocks.. Fish On. Then a boat was going by real slow and trying to keep the rod from bending and bucking was pretty tough.
    What was more amazing was one day Tony pulled out the AquaView underwater camera and while he was watching the fish finder, he told me I should be seeing some fish. Then all of a sudden I saw big silver scales and then a mouth. I think if the camera had been smaller, the striper would of eaten the camera.

Speaking of cameras, I'll be posting a photo of my new toy I just. It's an underwater camera that's 5 mega pixels, shoots 170 degree view and can go down to 100'. I'm now rigging it up so I can use it on push pole down 10'.
    This camera would be good for your surfing. It has a mount for the front of the surfboard or a helmet cam. I told Ken I'd get a "long board" and we could photograph him "Tubed" or going over the falls

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cali View Post
    You remember Hog Island,
    That year at Hog Island will forever be burned in my brain! I'll never forget one afternoon I was sitting here at work on a slow day when I told my partner that I was taking the rest of the day off (That's a rare thing for me to do.). It was September, full moon, & about 110 degrees out. I called Jay & told him I'm coming by to pick him up in ten minutes, I also told him that these we're less than ideal conditions but we can't control that. We launched the boat a 1:00pm pulled up to hog island & proceeded to have the most amazing day I have ever had stripper fishing. All the fish were over 10 pounds & I really can't tell you how many we caught. I caught so many fish on this one fly Jay clipped it of my rod & made me use another one. I fought him on that but he won & later that week he hands me a shadow box with that fly & a picture of me holding one of the bigger Stripers form that day. We made one major and almost costly mistake that day. We were so amped up about going fishing that we forgot to bring water with us & ended up getting dehydrated so we stopped at Casa de Fruita on the way home feeling kind of nauseated & light headed only to sit there drinking fluids for at least two hours.

Tony P

Tony P,

Remember those guys who were fishing on the bank and sitting on a ice chest full of beer and cokes. We were going to MUG them just for some liquid. HELL, I would of even drank a beer that day.

We even have a rocky point on HOG ISLAND named "Cali Rock"

Those were the days

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murakoshi View Post
    Tony P,

Remember those guys who were fishing on the bank and sitting on a ice chest full of beer and cokes. We were going to MUG them just for some liquid. HELL, I would of even drank a beer that day.
    Those guys were real? I thought they were a mirage! I tell you one thing ever since that day every time I get back from fishing the first thing I do is load the ice chest in the boat with water so there is no way to ever forget it again.

Tony P

What about the Snickers

Jay

King Size!!!!!!