Thread: the perfect flats rig

Cool the perfect flats rig

so i'm new to flats and saltwater flyfishing, i am planning a trip to belize this summer for a grand introduction and hoping at a chance for bones, permit, and tarpon. i'm looking for some wisdom on setting up the best rig for all around flats fishing. a rod/reel/line set up to target bones, permit, and baby tarpon (plan to rent a rod for adult tarpon). not necessarily looking for brand names, but more what is the best set up, 8 wt, 9 wt?? right now i am leaning towards a fast action 8 or 9 weight. also, why do people over-line rods by a weight? is this recommended? what type of line would be best to target these species from the flats? do i need extra spools? thank you oh wise ones. your help is appreciated.
    hey, careful man, there's a beverage here

Having recently returned from Bone fishing on Oahu, I can speak to this a little.
    It was recommended that when fishing salt water that you should overline. It was explained to me that it helps with distance casting which, after my experience, I can't argue with.

I would get a new mid-priced (~$300) 9' #8 - 4pc rod and put a new for 2009 Rio Tarpon WF9F on it.

New for 2009 Scott A3, Sage Flight, TFO TiCrX, Echo2 SW.....................etc.

For most fish you will encounter but adult Tarpon this will work great.

It would work fine for throwing small streamers for Tarpon and Snook in the mangroves and small/medium crabs for Permit on the flats. It will be fine for Bonefish too.

Where are you going and what month?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

thanks bill, you are always all over these posts!! thats pretty much the rig i was thinking, just needed some confirmation. planning to go to central belize in august

Where are you staying?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

nothing booked as of yet, still ironing out all the details, but pretty set on turneffe flats at the moment, also, any reason why you recommend the tarpon line over the others??

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Morrison View Post
    Having recently returned from Bone fishing on Oahu, I can speak to this a little.
    It was recommended that when fishing salt water that you should overline. It was explained to me that it helps with distance casting which, after my experience, I can't argue with.
    Uplining is an individual thing. Some people like to some don't. I have maybe 50 rods and out of all of them I only uipline 2 of them, the rest, IME, cast beautifully with the rated line, especially for distance casting. For me, uplining kills the crisp, fast feel I like from a fast action rod.

A big reason for uplining in saltwater situations is you WILL need to make split second presentations with zero to one false casts. And it is likely you will be dealing with wind. Up lining favors these conditions. A heavier line will load the rod tip with very little line out allowing you to shoot quickly...super important for your situation.

Again I have to say it's an individual thing. I fish saltwater all the time including the Florida Keys for the tarpon, bones and permit. Only 2 of my rods need uplining in my opinion. The others cast beautifully for me either close in for 20-25 foot surprise shots to casts 80+ ft away. And I've tried uplining every single one of my rods to determine the best line weight for them with my casting ability and as I said, 2 out of 50 needed it, the rest never did on the flats, ever. It's way too broad a brush stroke to say uplining helps...I find it slows the rod down too much and it hurts the longer casts I need at times and is no better for close shots for me. I have no problem making fast presentations with no false casts and as little as 10 ft of line, if you can tip cast you can do it no problem.

thanks guys for all your help, i know that "the perfect flats rig" is more myth than reality, and in the end multiple rigs are the perfect setup for that situation, and that is my goal eventually, but i plan to purchase one setup for now and am gathering info for what would be best, ill likely rent other set ups i need, really appreciate all the help, now the fun part of going out and trying these rods, ill let you know what i decide eventually