Thread: Owens River Guided Trip

Default Owens River Guided Trip

Looking for someone to share cost of 2-seperate 5 hour guided trips, most likely the Lower Owens, March 28-30th (I've not booked yet, but need to soon). Your cost would be $200 total. I'll be there 27th-31st, staying in my RV. There are a lot of options, could upgrade to full day trips for $100 more. I spoke to Dave last night and the fishing is epic and should remain that way through April. The West Walker, Upper O, Hot Creek are all possibilities, depending on what's fishing well and what we want to do. I want to learn the nuances of this area, as well as put-in /take-out for drifting. Will spend rest of time on my Skykomish Sunrise 'toon. I have 2, you are welcome to use the other.
    About me: 55 year old hetero grandfather, tolerant of most things other than hip-hop music, killing wild trout and ignorance. Tobacco user, like craft beers and single-malt (in moderation) and cold-water fisheries.
    Guide will be Dave Neal of Reel Mammoth Adventures; check out his website and the Blog for current conditions. It should be HOT! Sierra Drifters has a nice site, also (fishing conditions). They support the claims Dave is making; March/April is off the hook with 50-100 fish days possible.
    http://flyfishingmammoth.typepad.com...ith_dave_neal/
    Robert

I'd go if I could, The owens river is an amazing fisherie. I fish it above crowley and at the big springs section, By the way big springs has a great free campground right on the river were it actually comes right out the ground, Its an overlooked spot. hot creek has lots of huge fish but its pretty much as technical as technical gets IMHO, Take your A game to that river, Theres also an often overlooked spot right behind the hatchery that is just stacked with pigs. I'll be making my annual trek over that way in mid july to spend about 10 days fishing hard. You gotta get some lobster taquitos at the deli/gas station were 120 and 395 meet in Lee Vinning Freakin awesome !!! Good luck your gonna have a great time, Its california trout fishing at its best !

Robert, wow... thanks for the plug. But I need to clarify a couple things.

The rivers that are open locally right now are: Lower Owens, Upper Owens, Hot Creek, Gorge, and East Walker (not the West Walker).

I have been offering a discounted deal of 2 guided days in a week - for the month of March only - that is why the rate is what it is. Someone should take Robert up on his offer so we can all get together and have some fun!

But most importantly, while fishing the Eastside in March/April can be "exceptional" even "epic", in no way do I claim 50-100 fish days on the internet or in my fish reports. I feel awkward talking about fly fishing that way.

Those who have fished with me know, I believe an exceptional day of fly fishing is simply unquantifiable with numbers. After all, when the fishing is that silly, we will start fishing with our LEFT ARM, or I try and hook the fish that DON'T WANT to be caught, and definitely we'll be throwing dry flies for wild fish!

So if you want to join Robert, we should have some great fly fishing conditions. I was on the Lower Owens today and in addition to the solid BWO hatch the spring caddis are starting to really come on strong down river!!

As Bill said in another post, MARCH MADNESS is here!! There is a lot of really good fly fishing right now all over the state. Visit your local fly fly shop, get the scoop, support a guide perhaps, but just GET OUTSIDE and go fishing; you will not regret it.
    "Fishing should be a ceremony that reaffirms our place in the natural world and helps us resist further estrangement from our origins."
    Thomas McGuane

www.reeladventuresguideservice.com